Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

finder scope

hi all I have a celestron nexstar 6se but find the red dot finder somewhat hard to get on with. can anyone suggest something that would be better that would go with my scope as i do find it hard to align the red dot finder

thanks

I use both a finder scope and a reddot finder, the Rigel. That is a really good combination. With the red dot, I first find the naked eye star, and then I use the finder. I cannot recommend the standard 6x30 90 degree finder from Skywatcher the came with my scope. Alignment depends om how you hold your eye before the finder. And to get it aligned the two screws sit quite lose. Therefore it is very often out of alignment.

I recently got a straight-through finderscope, but had difficulties getting behind it when the angle was high.  Plus, you also need to have your eye close to it.  Sitting on a stool helped.  But then everything was inverted up/down, left/right.

This is not to say that you can't get used to these finders and get a lot from them.  And the illuminated reticle was very nice!

Anyway, I swapped it for a RACI version which I find easier to use.  And I strapped the RDF onto the finder with cable ties.  So now I can locate an object, see a magnified, wide angle version, then "get down to business" through the EP.

(I returned the straight-through via a well-known courier who lost it.  Claim on-going.  That's another story!)

Archived