Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tim

I have been sitting on a low quality data set of this classic barred spiral galaxy for some time, over 3 years. Taken with one of my SCT's, I dont recall which, and either Starlight H9, Atik 428, or 460 camera. Would have to dig deep to find those details. I didn't want to throw the data out, even though it lacked any green channel, but it was just taking up space on my laptop, so it was either, put it up, or chuck it out.

So for better or worse, here is M109 with synthesised green channel. Maybe one day I will do this one justice, it is such a pretty little thing. has anybody observed this in any detail? Would be interested to hear if the barring is obvious at the eyepiece too?

Thanks for looking

Tim

M109.jpg

Hi Tim M109 visually doesn't give too much away the core is bright and you can see a slight bar . saying that ive never observed it from any of the dark places ive been just from our local forest with mag6 skies.

id like to see you have another go at this, you do produce some class images.

Dan

When I saw this I thought I had the data for it and would gladly have sent you the green but, alas, it's the rather similar M95 which I have from Yvves' 14 inch. Let's not forget what a remarkable amateur image this would have been not very long ago. Good job on the syn green!

Olly

Nice image. Visually M109 is not very spectacular. I viewed it from the dark skies of Galloway. There was a hint of a bar and some speckling. Having said that my notes show seeing as 2 to 3, so perhaps on a better night more might be seen.

I will re-do it from the start Olly, thanks for looking though. I've had this folder of images still to stack for years, quite a few more in there including some really nice data. The night I took this was poor anyway, the fwhm and background figures are horrible, incomplete data set, and at this focal length (f10, C11) the stars can be difficult to get to stack if they start to get tubby.

At least it is one more out of the way. Didn't get a hamper from Skywatcher this year so obviously need to up my game :) 

Archived