Narrowband

Pub Quiz Controversy

cuivenion

This question came up at the pub quiz tonight. 'What is the most distant planet visible to the naked eye?' Apparently it's Saturn according to the quiz, pretty sure it's Uranus but there does seem to be conflicting info online about this. Some of sites don't differentiate between whats easy to see and whats possible.

16 minutes ago, DRT said:

Did the question master specify where the naked eye needed to be positioned? If standing on the solar panels of New Horizons the naked eye could still see Pluto - or perhaps Planet X?

Ahh but then then they wouldn't be the most distant planet!

17 minutes ago, r3i said:

Worst astro pub quiz question that I recently heard was: "What did Percival Lovell (sic) discover in 1930?" - wrong on so many levels.

What a silly question. I thought everyone knew Percival Lovell died in 1789!  http://www.ancestry.co.uk/genealogy/records/percival-lovell_29743261?geo_a=r&geo_s=us&geo_t=uk&geo_v=2.0.0&o_iid=41013&o_lid=41013&o_sch=Web+Property

Edit: Great the link don't work from there! But anyway, he died in 1789.

1 hour ago, Paul M said:

What a silly question. I thought everyone knew Percival Lovell died in 1789!  http://www.ancestry.co.uk/genealogy/records/percival-lovell_29743261?geo_a=r&geo_s=us&geo_t=uk&geo_v=2.0.0&o_iid=41013&o_lid=41013&o_sch=Web+Property

Edit: Great the link don't work from there! But anyway, he died in 1789.

Weird - I tried to post a link to the record that I found through Google and that didn't work either - must be something somewhere in the background messing things up.

I've got to get a copy!

It really bugs me when quiz masters don't accept that they have made an error. In my local's quiz a while back, the question was asked "What is the largest land mammal". Answer ---------- Polar bear!!!! The popular quiz mistress proceded to argue that these bears were really pretty big.... Poor lady. People still shout "Polar Bear" when they suspect they suspect an error.

Paul

Archived