Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Spidy

EQ3 GOTO

I've recently been thinking about upgrading my skywatcher skyliner 150p normal dob mount for something Alittle more high tech and exiting :) and have been looking on FLO website and found a EQ3 GOTO and that has raised some questions and I could thing of no better place to ask them :)

1) will I be able to attach my skyliner 150p to the EQ3?

2) does the GOTO function work..ie tracking objects?

3) I have a slight interest in Astrophotography so would this setup let me at least have a stab at it?

or should I save Alittle more and buy the EQ3 with a scope, maybe something a little bigger than my current 150 :p

any advice greatly received 

thank you all

john 

Yes you could but the mount will struggle,not with the weight but the bulk at 1200 Fl that's 200 longer than mine but only 50mm less aperture it would be abit wobbly on the tripod.I use the cg5 with the 2 inch tripod for visual only but for astrophotography a heq5 would probably be best.This size of scope acts like a sail.

11 hours ago, Spidy said:

I've recently been thinking about upgrading my skywatcher skyliner 150p normal dob mount for something Alittle more high tech and exiting :) and have been looking on FLO website and found a EQ3 GOTO and that has raised some questions and I could thing of no better place to ask them :)

1) will I be able to attach my skyliner 150p to the EQ3?

2) does the GOTO function work..ie tracking objects?

3) I have a slight interest in Astrophotography so would this setup let me at least have a stab at it?

or should I save Alittle more and buy the EQ3 with a scope, maybe something a little bigger than my current 150 :p

any advice greatly received 

thank you all

john 

1. The Skyliner 150 is the same tube as the Explorer 150PL so it should fit using the correct rings and dovetail.

2. Goto mounts do this. They are quite dumb though, the mount will slew to the target and then continue with normal tracking. It will not "lock on" to a target and keep it centred in the eyepiece.

3. It might work for lunar and planetary imaging with a webcam but would be insufficient for DSO imaging.

4. Ideally you need a bigger mount.

What's your budget?

You could try astro buy and sell, there are all sorts of good deals on there. As mentioned you would probably benefit in the long term with a stronger mount. I got a lot of use out of my old EQ5 (easily upgradable and with effort could do astrophotography). You might be able to get one SH. If you push your budget a bit more you could get the HEQ5 which is a vast improvement and is very popular for AP.

Thank you all

im not too fussed about Astrophotography. As I'm more of a visual observer so would choose views over photos any day :)

The EQ3 should be ok for visual use. The long tube might like a sail if the wind catches it so it might be better and cheaper to go for the EQ5 and either the single axis or dual axis drives for tracking.