SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do you use Baader Hyperion with Nikon DSLR? Please Read

Peje

I'm having problems trying to get my Nikon D7100 to focus when attached to my 8mm Hyperion. I am able to focus without issue using my eye but when I attempt to refocus after adding the camera the focus is pretty rubbish, it's still viewable but it's not worth taking an image of.

I took off the adaptor that connects to the camera to allow the sensor to be closer to the lens and this seemed to improve the focus drastically but obviously that's not much of a solution. I was hoping someone else would have seen this or at least use a Nikon with the Hyperion without issue so I know I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance, Pete.

Hi Pete. It's not an exact response but both my Canon bodies work fine with my BH eyepieces. I use this method of eye piece projection for planetary imaging. Do you have the Baader adaptor for the eyepiece to T ring? From memory it is a thin 43mm ring. It may be that your scope has insufficient focuser range. I have used my setup on a 9.25 SCT and a 4"" refractor successfully both of which have generous focuser ranges.

1 minute ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Hi Pete. It's not an exact response but both my Canon bodies work fine with my BH eyepieces. I use this method of eye piece projection for planetary imaging. Do you have the Baader adaptor for the eyepiece to T ring? From memory it is a thin 43mm ring. It may be that your scope has insufficient focuser range. I have used my setup on a 9.25 SCT and a 4"" refractor successfully both of which have generous focuser ranges.

Thanks for the reply, any info is greatly appreciated.

Do you find a large difference in focuser position when moving for visual to imaging? I have the baader to M43 and tht Nikon T-thread one as recommended but the [removed word] just doesn't work.

Yes, the focuser has to be moved significantly.  You will get quite a large increase in image scale using the eyepiece projection method especially with the 8mm hence its usefulness for planetary imaging via video mode. Is this what you are trying to do?

actually, all my solar images are taken by this method using a BH 10mm and a Lunt 50.

Edited by Owmuchonomy

20 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Yes, the focuser has to be moved significantly.  You will get quite a large increase in image scale using the eyepiece projection method especially with the 8mm hence its usefulness for planetary imaging via video mode. Is this what you are trying to do?

actually, all my solar images are taken by this method using a BH 10mm and a Lunt 50.

Currently I'm just trying to get it to focus LOL. I'm not using a projection piece (though I do have one of the 14mm spacer ring for the centre of the lens).

Here's the strange thing, when I fit the DSLR I need to adjust the focuser and I can get it to focus (go too far and it goes out of focus again). Does this suggest there are multiple focus points?

Just now, Tinker1947 said:

You may be trying for to much magnification, my D80 and Hyperion's works fine down to 10mm in a 10" Reflector.....Not sure of other EP's that take a DSLR Len other than Pentax, but there will be some...

I thought that it could be 'seeing' related but then it would be poor focus without the camera also wouldn't it?

1 minute ago, Tinker1947 said:

If you have other lower powered EP's run some tests, i only tried a few images as the results were never very good.

That's the only Hyperion EP I have that will take my Nikon. I get the feeling there's something wrong with the spacing between the Hyperion and the sensor since I was able to get focus with the sensor closer to the EP

I can't really tell what your setup is. For example I don't know what a projection ring is. All you need to do is remove the eyecup, attach the 43mm ring then attach the t adaptor and then the Nikon body. This is then the eyepiece projection set up. Can you post a photo? I do know for certain that the 8-24mm BH zoom does not always work in this mode but I don't think you are discussing that eyepiece.

Don't have a photo on hand that shows the DSLR fitted but this is the setup to use the lens visually. It has the Baader 43mm thread adaptor fitted, to this i just add the T adaptor and Nikon.

The projection ring is called a 'fine tuning ring' by Baader. This allows to to adaptor the Hyperion to be a different focal length, for example adding the 14mm ring changes my 8mm to be a 6mm. This ring costs around £10 (from memory) but I don't think that's my problem since I haven't fitted it yet.

20160122_205716.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hi this is a 5 year old thread; but maybe still current interest;  I have a BH 8mm & nikon d5300.  what i see here In ProtoStar's set up is the Baader at 8mm is powerful; add to that the 14mm fine tuning ring, becomes 6mm; a 28 mm ring makes it 4mm. I suggest removing the fine tuning rings and the barrel lens (so it's 2"); that should make the EP about 21mm.