SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Why you should come to CSSP

Friday night was poor transparency, but still better than most places on a good night, and tonight looked like it might clear up, but I had to come home today. Thursday night, however, was magnificent, easily mag 6, and one lad told me he could see a couple of mag 7 objects. I saw the North America nebula for the first time, and it was almost a naked eye object. I stayed up until 4 am, and topped off the night with the Moon and Jupiter.

Today, I missed a lecture that I wanted to go to, by not paying attention, but later I went to the vendor tent, and spent 25 minutes listening, and sometimes chatting with the lecturer, a Mr. Al Nagler, who was showing people his new 8mm Ethos, and his 2 - 8mm (IIRC) zoom eyepiece. How often do you get to talk to one of the gods of astronomy?

The pictures I brought back are not very good, as most of the big scopes were put away by the time I got up on Friday, about 11:00. The weather was threatening, and these people didn't want to risk their investments. I had the pleasure of looking through a friend's 25" Obsession dob. It has a goto system that is truly magnificent. When the scope moves to a new object, it looks like a naval cannon acquiring a target. He was using a 13mm Ethos in the scope.

Anyway, it was a good time, wish you were there.

Sounds like you had a fab time there Warthog. Nth Am nebula as an almost naked eye object ?? Fat chance of that happening over here, :):D :D :D . The Obsession, wow now that must have helped make the whole thing worth while too. Nice report,

Karlo

One always takes something away from these events, mostly memories, but good ones.

Meeting Mr Nagler and having a converation with him is something you will always remember.

Theres always the sense of being amongst good friends, and that's something you can't put a value on.

You will soon be preparing for the next one WH, and wondering where the intervening months went. Look forward to your pics.

Ron.

Glad you had such a great time, WH! :D So what did you see Thursday night? I bet the Milky Way was almost bright enough to cast a shadow.

Btw, try wearing an O-III filter like PM's monacle some time.. you'd be surprised how much it helps a non-magnified NA Neb 'pop'. :D

Archived