Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello and thanks from a 5 year old

Cheviot

30 minutes ago, knobby said:

Reminds me of my Dad and uncle buying me a scalextric for my 2nd birthday !

Really lovely to find something that you can share with your child  ... Treasure the moments . I spent many hours looking at Orion , Jupiter , Saturn and the moon with my 6 year old but by 10 she'd ' seen that ' 

Enjoy your scope together and remember Jupiter will rise earlier each day so he'll see it soon .

It's pretty special to see Jacks excitement and he is very much hooked. I hope he does stick with it otherwise he'll be forced to share my passion for Newcastle United.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, mcsheffield said:

Welcome to SGL, hope you all have years of enjoyment from "your son's" scope, there is so much to see.

Dont forget, there are no silly questions, so just ask away. You may get silly answers though!

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm a bit like a kid in a sweet shop at the moment, don't know where to look and also the shop isn't open much at the moment.

13 minutes ago, Cheviot said:

Yeh, it sure has been..... 35 years in the wilderness though! Have I missed much?

Welcome.

What happened in the past 35 years: Pluto is no longer a planet and they have found lots of exoplanets. Not very relevant for your amateur telescope.

7 minutes ago, Linda said:

Welcome.

What happened in the past 35 years: Pluto is no longer a planet and they have found lots of exoplanets. Not very relevant for your amateur telescope.

Hi Linda,

Am I correct in believing your Dutch? I'm off to the Netherlands on holiday in the summer and came across some information on the Eisinga Planetarium, somewhere in Friesland. Have you heard of it and is it worth a visit?

1 minute ago, Cheviot said:

Hi Linda,

Am I correct in believing your Dutch? I'm off to the Netherlands on holiday in the summer and came across some information on the Eisinga Planetarium, somewhere in Friesland. Have you heard of it and is it worth a visit?

Yes, Dutch, but I have been living in Norway for the last 18 years so I am not very up to date. When I recently asked fellow Dutch astronomers for a recommendation for an astro-related museum, this Eisinga planetarium was one of the options they recommended, because I was staying in Friesland.

Other options they recommended were:

- Museum Boerhaave in Leiden (telescopes built by Huygens) and instruments from old Leidse sterrewacht. (Sterrewacht/sterrenwacht is the Dutch word for observatory)
- Sterrewacht Leiden (the old sterrenwacht).
- Recently restored radiotelescoop in Dwingeloo.

- Teylers museum in Haarlem. I have actually visited this museum not too long ago. It is completely full of various stuff, from dinosaur bones to old mushroom books and some strange machines. I liked it. It should have some old telescopes, although I don't remember seeing those, as I wasn't an astronomer at that time yet.

7 minutes ago, Linda said:

Yes, Dutch, but I have been living in Norway for the last 18 years so I am not very up to date. When I recently asked fellow Dutch astronomers for a recommendation for an astro-related museum, this Eisinga planetarium was one of the options they recommended, because I was staying in Friesland.

Other options they recommended were:

- Museum Boerhaave in Leiden (telescopes built by Huygens) and instruments from old Leidse sterrewacht. (Sterrewacht/sterrenwacht is the Dutch word for observatory)
- Sterrewacht Leiden (the old sterrenwacht).
- Recently restored radiotelescoop in Dwingeloo.

- Dwingeloo. I have actually visited this museum not too long ago. It is completely full of various stuff, from dinosaur bones to old mushroom books and some strange machines. I liked it. It should have some old telescopes, although I don't remember seeing those, as I wasn't an astronomer at that time yet.

Thanks for your reply and the different options.

We are travelling by ferry to Ijmuiden and staying near De Rijp for the first week, so Haarlem could be a good option and the dinosaur bones would be a good selling point.

Many thanks

Archived