SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello and thanks from a 5 year old

Cheviot

Hi all,

My five year old son Jack has an interest in space, so great I thought I'll buy him a kids telescope for Christmas. Determined for him not to receive the same quality one I did as a 9 year old in the late seventies (it killed my interest in astronomy dead) I took to the internet. I soon discovered this was not going to be the easy task I thought it would be but was pleasantly surprised at the range and affordability of some telescopes. More research was required and that is when I came across the Stargazers Lounge forum. After a week or so trawling through lots of posts I realised that I wasn't buying a telescope for my son anymore!

I eventually plumped for a Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200p Dob.

It was well received by Jack on Christmas morning but stood in the front room for what seemed to be an eternity before we got clear skies at the beginning of January. So out it came and I pointed it at an easy target in that big white thing...... Wow two happy boys!

It's been out again once more since then for some more great views of the moon and even a view of Jupiter with three of it's moons which I wasn't expecting. The viewing of Jupiter was too late at night for Jack but not for my wife who I haven't seen so awe struck for a long time.

We are complete novices and look forward to learning from everyone on the forum. Jack will ask some good questions of you all and I will probably ask a lot of stupid one's so apologies in advance!

So hello to everyone and thanks again for all the advice on the form that helped us buy the Skyliner, we're well pleased with it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to both of you.

I know what you mean! I got my wife a skywatcher discovery for her 30th birthday and now I'm totally hooked! I even made he mistake of describing it as my scope one day which she wasn't too impressed at!! oops.

Hi Cheviot and welcome to SGL, that is a very nice scope the 200P, I am sure your Son will derive much pleasure from using it with his Dads guiding hand. The next thing he will want, should be a copy of Turn Left at Orion, see FLO top of the page, this will help guide you through the beginning stages of discovering the Heavens, probably the most popular book used by those just starting out, to the experience Astronomer, enjoy the forum :) 

Hi Cheviot and welcome to the forum. Well that was one hell of a present for young Jack and will certainly provide him (....and of course yourself) many years of enjoyment for sure.

Glad you could join us here and look forward to reading about your progress.

Clear skies

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I thought my first purchase after the scope would be an EP but I think it's gonna have to be a set of steps for Jack instead. Thanks glowjet, I do plan to get a copy of Turn Left at Orion, it's one of many things on my wishlist which just seems to get bigger and bigger.

Hi & Welcome to SGL.  Good luck with your new scope.  It's one  the most popular here on SGL.  I can vouch for that having bought one myself, after taking advice from the folk here.

Reminds me of my Dad and uncle buying me a scalextric for my 2nd birthday !

Really lovely to find something that you can share with your child  ... Treasure the moments . I spent many hours looking at Orion , Jupiter , Saturn and the moon with my 6 year old but by 10 she'd ' seen that ' 

Enjoy your scope together and remember Jupiter will rise earlier each day so he'll see it soon .

2 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Hello and welcome to SGL... sounds like your astronomy interest has been resurrected.

Yeh, it sure has been..... 35 years in the wilderness though! Have I missed much?

Archived