Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

BargeGazer

HEQ5 PolarScope Reticule - Alternative to standard

The standard Polarscope Reticle with the HEQ5, at least the one in mine, is a simple circle so using "Polarfinder" pictures is a matter of guessing its position.  Other types of reticle seem to exist in which there are 12 or 24 graduations around the circle.

Does anyone know of a source of such reticles for the standard Polarscope or a replacement Polarscope assembly with such a reticle?

David

The polar scope reticule in my AZ-EQ6 came with fine graduations (I bought the mount about 6 months ago). I think this is the updated polar scope model now. Maybe if you buy a polar scope new, it will have the finer graduations. Ask before you buy! :happy7:

Hi i have been asking a few UK retailers about this, but no joy. teleskop-express has them for EQ5/EQ6. I don't think this will fit a HEQ5 as i think its a different size, best to email them and ask.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p390_Skywatcher-HM6-Polsucher-fuer-EQ5-Celestron-CGEM-CAM-uvm-.html

I am looking to get one as i assume it would make polar alignment more accurate?? especially when using polar finder.

regards

Jason

Edited by eyepod

You could try useing the Handset PA software, save all that kneeling down, and it costs nothing....

Thanks for the feedback.  Shame there doesn't seem to be a way to get just the reticle as a "spare".  I'll persevere with guesstimating, using RA hour-scale and other methods.

Clear Skies

David

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SimM
      Setting up my new HEQ5. The same issues are present (by design) on RA setting circles on the other mounts?
      Instructions missing for RA setting circle thumbscrew
      Can the RA setting circle actually be used as a normal setting circle - it seems just "cosmetic". It's either locked or slips when free to rotate.
      Simon
    • By willcastle
      Has anyone used the celestron lithium powertank (the small one, not the pro version) with a skywatcher HEQ5?
      It looks like it should be perfect but that is coming from someone who is relatively clueless
      From the skywatcher specs, it looks like the mount needs 2 amps of current, and the powertank supplies 3, so that should be good?
      It also looks like the power cable is a double-ended tip-positive 2.1 mm plug, so i assume that even though it doesn't have one of those 12V car battery inputs, it shouldn't matter right?
      (just to save people some time, i'm not going to bother with a lead battery / leisure battery / jump-start pack / etc)
    • By maxchess
      I am trying to plan out my longer term equipment strategy, rather than go for impulse purchases and would like some advice on dual mounting scopes.

At present I have a roll-off shed with steel pier in concrete block. The mount is an HEQ5-Pro, stellar tuned and belt driven which is supposed to have an astrophotography payload of around 11Kg.  My main camera is an ASI294MC. Guide camera Lodestar x2. 
      I switch between two scope set ups.  (Weight for both includes cameras and filter draw.)
      •    ES102 with 50mm guide scope, FL=714, weight is 7.5 Kg
      •    C8 (not edge) with 6.3  FR and OAG, FL = 1260,  Weight is 8kg
      So clearly I cannot mount both on my HEQ5 Pro.
      One of the reasons for going with a fixed pier in a shed is that once set up and aligned, I can just push back the roof, align, focus and get imaging in 5 mins.  However as targets change I need to swap scopes, rebalance, rewire etc. Not a massive effort but I am wondering if I could dual these scopes and perhaps eventually add something like a WO GT71 FL= 420, weight 2.93  for the wide stuff.  So total weight around 19kg.  Then maybe in the future go for a Mono camera and filter wheel and even perhaps an C9.25 Edge pushing the weight to around 23kg. 
      To do this I would plan to buy a CEM 60    mount that claims a payload of 27.2 kg, although it is not clear if this is imaging, although I can’t see why anyone would buy one just for visual. I would then just guide with the OAG.
      So I have two questions:
      Is this a realistic strategy or would I loose guiding accuracy by loading the mount in this way. Perhaps even compared to keeping the HEQ5-Pro and swapping when necessary.  Or maybe just forget the GT71 and C9.25
      If I do go down this route, what is the best way of dual or triple mounting? I have read that mounting two dissimilar scopes side by side risks unbalancing the setup, but also that mounting the ES102 on ADM rings risks flexure.
      Any other advice or observations most welcome.
      Thanks
      Max

• By gerardsheldon
      I tested the tracer polymer battery over a six hour period and although the red light on the HEQ5 flashed most of the time, and more rapidly as time went on, the mount moved so that the time on setting circles changed by six hours, suggesting the mount will track OK.  (the test was carried out during the day).  I did not try to get the telescope to point in a different direction using the handset.
      1) Should I be bothered by the flashing lights on the HEQ5 mount?
      2) Is tracer misleading people by saying their batteries are 12 volts?  (they say that their discharge curves are flat)
      I found that the battery's voltage falls.  Below is from the Tracer datasheet.
      ---------------------------------------------------------- 
      Built-in Fuel Gauge - 5 colour LED fuel gauge mounted externally to show charge level. LED Status:
      3 green & 2 red: Battery fully charged 11.7V
      2 green & 2 red: Over 50% capacity 11.4V
      1 green & 2 red: Over 20% capacity 11.1V
      2 red: Less than 20% capacity 10.7V 1 red:
      Less than 10% capacity 10.3V No lights: Battery empty 8.25V 
      ----------------------------------------------------
      Thanks
      Gerard

• By Oslet
      Sooo...I'm getting quote frustrated here. This spring I tested my HEQ5 with guiding. The synscan controller was connected to the computer trough the USB plug on the hand controller. This worked like a charm in my living room. On the new controllers you dont need the rs cable. But when I tried the whole thing with guide cameara for some live shooting, it just did not work. I get something wrong with the com port in decice manager, driver not working. I have tried 3 different drivers. The whole thing responded, connected and was guiding when i did a dummy test before the summer. So setup is pc-synscan via usb for pulse guiding. Can it be a problem with windows 10? What t h.... just happened? Where can I find a driver that works? And believe me it worked 5 months ago, argh. Thanks for any respons and support

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.