Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky Watcher goto battery pack

I've managed to drop and smash my 8 aa battery pack for my skywatcher 127 goto AZ mount.  Anyone know if the ones on eBay if I use the connector and cable will be ok, or where I can buy another one.   Gutted!! 

Hi, I dropped mine and the connectors broke, they are very flimsy anyway,  I used some small pliers and insulation tape to fixed it,I run the batteries down  & now use  a halfords 4 in 1 phase battery pack ( jump start) that is far better and cost effective over a period of time , it cost just under £40 so well worth it.

I have seen 8 Ah and upwards Lithium battery packs at reasonable prices. Not the Tracer ones but the type used to power/recharge phones when discharged. Some of them have a 12 volt output and those are the ones I mean. Costco had some in a while ago at about £18 I think. How good they are I have no idea. May be worth a look. You could look on Amazon.

Derek

This really is a blessing in disguise for you.  an 8 Ah 12v battery would be much better.  You can get either the Skywatcher power tank or similar.  Or a jump starter from Halfords or somewhere like that.  Whatever you decide, I'm sure that the battery will be more powerful than the AA's that you were using and will run your scope in a much healthier way that you were doing in the past.  You'll need to get a cigar socket (12V auto) to DC socket for your scope, you can get these from the Flo website amongst others.  This setup will last you for several years.

The Halfords 4 in 1 phase battery pack 17ah has a cigar plug included, reduced from £79 to £39.99, just plug it in to the battery and then plug it in to your scope power they are the same fit, I use on my celestron 102mm goto, less than half the price of the 17ah Skywatcher or Celestron power tanks.

Of course the ideal solution is a leisure battery ie: marine/golf trolley/etc  etc, but if like me you are not confident of creating a circuit and getting ends to meet, go for the Halfords or Maplins type starter battery.

Archived