stargazine_ep46_banner.thumb.jpg.34e6cdd5a0856b006a0b47c6373eb9b1.jpg

This image is a continuation of an image I made in 2014 of the M81/82 galaxy group. I made the images and found signals of integrated flux nebula surrounding the galaxies. Soon after that I got in touch with Neil Fleming who had a splendid image of the IFN in this region on his website and a fellow astrophotographer, Michael Van Doorn, who had imaged the galaxies using his hyperstar setup.

We decided to combine the data and create a deep field of this region. The lower magnitude visible is around mag. +24 in this image!
Because of the long period of bad weather I decided to do some reprocessing on previously made images and decided to see if I could get even more out of this image.

I think the result is astonishing. As far as I have found this is the deepest image of this region that I could find on the internet. The IFN really stands out very clearly and it's nice to see details like Arp's loop at M81 really jumping out to the image....

Image details are visible in the image.

24562871296_797d27265e_b.jpg
M81/82 Ultra deep field :) by Andre van der Hoeven, on Flickr

• Like 47

I'm staggered at the detail in this image- congratulations!  Despite having a degreee in this astronomy lark, I had never heard of an integrated flux nebula - fascinating.

Just imagine if we could capture the whole sky with that sort of resolution!

That is indeed very deep but I think I'm even more impressed by the resolution you've a achieved from quite modest focal lengths.

In fact you've inspried me to take another look at my own IFN effort with the message 'must try harder' ringing in my ears!

Olly

• 1 month later...

What a great project, I love this image. I was imaging this area last week doing 12 20minute lum subs and I can only just see the slightest hint of arps loop and thats maybe because I know its there!

That is cracking and a superb result. I remember trying to do this from my not so bad light polluted garden for 16 hours and didn't get 1/2 this amount of flux.

Top drawer and great processing to drag out the flux.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By tooth_dr
      I've been trying to image a couple of galaxies per night, one pre and one post flip.  On early Saturday morning at 1:30am I changed over to M82, and acquired 63 x 3 mins subs, OSC, totalling 3 hours and 9 minutes of data. 
      Camera: ZWO 2600MC at -10 deg C, gain 100, offset 50
      Telescope: Skywatcher 250PX (blue tube), 1200mm F4.7
      Mount: Mesu e200
      Guiding: ZWO OAGv2, 290MM, PHD2
      Filters: None
      Software: APT for capture, APP and PS for processing

I havent really had a chance to get much use out of this camera since I bought it in December, and I havent processed many OSC images before.  I've a bit of work to do, but still very happy with the quality of the data for just 3 hours of integration time.  I would like to add some Ha to this, but purposely didnt bother during the recent clear spell, as it was moonless nights and I gathered some broadband data on other targets instead.

CC welcome.
      Adam

• By JemC
      Hi all,
      this image is my 1st light using my recently acquired iOptron Photron RC6 ,  never used  an RC  before,  anyway after quite a bit of trial and error figuring out which adapters were required in order to achieve focus with the Canon 600d  and then getting it balanced ( quite back end heavy with the extension tubes and camera on ) it was time to put myself to the test as well as the kit.
      It ended up just being a short run . the set up consisted of :

EQ6 Pro pier mounted
      iOptron RC6
      Canon 600d (modified)
      ASIAir Pro (for the wizardry stuff)
      ASI 120mm Mini guide camera mounted to 9 x 50 finder scope

20 x 120 sec lights. or ( 40 minutes in old money )
      Calibration files were also used ( not to good effect i might add )
      Stacked in DSS with slight adjustments then transferred to Photo shop for final butchery, 
      Levels and curves adjusted and cropped slightly.
      Overall i'm quite happy with the outcome for such a short amount of data, 
      Any feedback is welcome, or any tips to help me improve with this scope  🙂
      so here it is 
      M82

• By fwm891
      The integration time on this image has now reached 6hrs 10mins, and probably the final sub count.
      This one has been processed entirely in PI using a luminace mask to help control both the background and foreground areas.
      Total subs: 37 all 600secs durations
      Scope: RASA 8
      Mount iOptron CEM60 Standard
      Camera: SAi 533 Pro, Cooled OSC
      Filters: Baader UV/IR Cut (luminance filter) and an IDAS NBZ (multiband for OSC)
      Guiding TS 80mm guider with ASi120mm camera and PHD2 (Rev4?)
      Capture and scope control: SG Pro
      Processing: PI

• By stevewanstall
      A very crisp and cold night.  I added more luminance data and also collected some RGB for NGC 2841. There is now around 4 hours in L and an hour each in R, G and B. The subs are 114s at a gain of 139. 

Wikipedia:
      NGC 2841 is an unbarred spiral galaxy in the northern circumpolar constellation of Ursa Major. A 2001 Hubble Space Telescope survey of the galaxy's Cepheid variables determined its distance to be approximately 14.1 megaparsecs or 46 million light-years. 
      This is the prototype for the flocculent spiral galaxy, a type of spiral galaxy whose arms are patchy and discontinuous. The morphological class is SAa, indicating a spiral galaxy with no central bar and very tightly-wound arms. There is no grand design structure visible in the optical band, although some inner spiral arms can be seen in the near infrared. 
      The properties of NGC 2841 are similar to those of the Andromeda Galaxy. It is home to a large population of young blue stars, and a few H II regions. The luminosity of the galaxy is 2×1010 M☉ and it has a combined mass of 7×1010 M☉. Its disk of stars can be traced out to a radius of around 228 kly (70 kpc). This disk begins to warp at a radius of around 98 kly (30 kpc), suggesting the perturbing effect of in-falling matter from the surrounding medium.
      The rotational behaviour of the galaxy suggests there is a massive nuclear bulge, with a low-ionization nuclear emission-line region  at the core; a type of region that is characterized by spectral line emission from weakly ionized atoms. A prominent molecular ring is orbiting at a radius of 7–20 kly (2–6 kpc), which is providing a star-forming region of gas and dust. The nucleus appears decoupled and there is a counter-rotating element of stars and gas in the outer parts of the nucleus, suggesting a recent interaction with a smaller galaxy.
      Equipment: Celestron 9.25 XLT at F10, Skywatcher EQ6 Pro GEM, ZWO 1600MM Pro, ZWO EFW with ZWO LRGB filters, QHY5IIC guide camera on Skywatcher 9 x 50 finderscope
    • By Jananas07
      Hi! So Ive found some pictures from an arxiv report in a database which I need for my project and converted them to fits files (The picture on the left). The one that was used in the arxiv report (picture on right) is a zoomed in picture of a galaxy in that picture, where its clearly visible. However when I try zooming in on the exakt coordinates of the galaxy in the fits image, its just plain black. I want the picture "raw", that's why I saved it as fits and not their pdf picture from report. Someone suggested first stretching the image for a more detailed image but some filters had to be used though... the only thing I can find on the tables of the images is that filter F160W was used. I have no idea how to move forward now, completely stuck. Would appreciate some help! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.