Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

admin

Welcome to the new SGL!

3 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

If you click on the drop down box at the side of your username the menu will show settings, account settings. Open that and it's the last tab on the right.

On my account settings page, I have only three tabs:  Overview, Email Address, and Password.  On the Overview tab, there is a small box that says Other Settings and lists: Notification Settings, Edit Profile, and Ignored Users.  None of these, including the Edit Profile link, lead to anything with the word signature in it...

- Still Flummoxed in Ottawa

3 minutes ago, Tanglebones said:

On my account settings page, I have only three tabs:  Overview, Email Address, and Password.  On the Overview tab, there is a small box that says Other Settings and lists: Notification Settings, Edit Profile, and Ignored Users.  None of these, including the Edit Profile link, lead to anything with the word signature in it...

- Still Flummoxed in Ottawa

I have 4 boxes the 4th on the right hand side is labelled " Signatures"... It may be a "Post Count thing"....:hmh:

Edited by Tinker1947

1 minute ago, Tinker1947 said:

I have 4 boxes the 4th on the right hand side is labelled " Signatures"...

Hmm..very odd, I definitely have just three boxes and no arrow keys or any other method of side scrolling.  As there hasn't been a problem yet invented that can't be solved by rebooting, I'll try logging out and back in again.  Can't hurt, might help.  If that fails, perhaps having an Irn Bru and a choccie bar might help.

- Stu

5 minutes ago, Tinker1947 said:

I have 4 boxes the 4th on the right hand side is labelled " Signatures"... It may be a "Post Count thing"....:hmh:

That's probably it.  Good thing, too, I'm sure there are many virtual thugs that log into a website and write nasty things in their signature block, the fiends.  Ah well, just have to wait it out - thanks for the help.

- Stu

Hi Guys

Just come back on the site so haven`t read all the previous posts. Sorry to be a killjoy but have to say I find the new site a little bland and every time I change page I get a pop up asking about notifications , maybe early days??

Steve

Thanks to all involved for the effort put into this upgrade, I am sure I will like it once I get used to it.  However, I am going to have to duck out of the forum until there is a way to turn off the white text on black background theme.  I did try to persevere with but has given me a headache already.

Cheers,
Chris

First let me apologise for the PM I sent to Admin. earlier, I wasn't aware of this thread at the time.

Two things I miss from the old scheme:-  

i) When posting there was an option to preview before posting, this I found helpful to avoid obvious errors. I don't see this option now.

ii) The posts in a thread were numbered which was helpful when referring back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

First let me apologise for the PM I sent to Admin. earlier, I wasn't aware of this thread at the time.

Two things I miss from the old scheme:-  

i) When posting there was an option to preview before posting, this I found helpful to avoid obvious errors. I don't see this option now.

ii) The posts in a thread were numbered which was helpful when referring back.

With the new forum, what you see is what you get, so there is really no need to 'preview' a post. The editor window is a live preview :)

Rik is right, the new editor is better than the old one. It shows what the post will look like so a preview is no longer required, which is good :smile:  

Not sure about the post numbers, I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it. One for Grant I think. 

Why can't we see the quote effect in old posts/topics.....ie the quotation box is not there, when you quoted a previous post.

Making it difficult to read the post.

2 minutes ago, trazor said:

Why can't we see the quote effect in old posts/topics.....ie the quotation box is not there, when you quoted a previous post.

Making it difficult to read the post.

Not sure what you mean? 

11 minutes ago, Charic said:

Not sure what you mean? 

In this reply of mine you can see a box with your reply in, ie. your post which I quoted.

In old posts/topics prior to the upgrade, it's all one post with no quote boxes.

2 hours ago, Neptune38 said:

Firstly, thanks 

Just one thing, on friday evening, before the site was shutdown for the upgrade, i started a thread and posted a picture, but now it's not showing my uploaded picture, will this come back at some point? Thanks 

Yes it might take a few hours there are around 3 million posts to be "upgraded"...

There are several background tasks running at the moment...

IIRC  Grant said old quotes will also go through a rebuild process so will take a while to appear properly...

Peter...

• Like 1

first post on the new site from my laptop, i have to say what a much better place it is(didnt think it could get any better) everything is so much clearer to navigate i know some people will moan as they always will, you will never please evryone. but the majority love it. thank you admin/mods and sgl :happy7:

Edited by faulksy
missing words
  • Like 2

Thank you to @admin and to all the mods for the hard work that goes in to this.  You can't please everyone, but my view is that you wouldn't have upgraded without reason so I'm looking forward to getting used to everything (already done the "@" thing - I use that on Salesforce.com !!) and enjoying marvellous content from fantastic folk.

Paul

Shouldn't the copyright year be updated following the site upgrades.

Good point about the copyright...

The work started in 2015 and we have been playing with it for a month or two to get to grips with the new features and in particular the mod tools...

Peter

• Like 1

The 'Recent Topics', 'Latest Classifieds', etc, side-bar menus are back (right-hand side if you are using a desktop) :smile:

These new sidebars work better than before - they disappear automatically if you are using a small screen. 

• Like 3

Some of you found the bright white text a little harsh so it has been toned down. 

Your feedback and suggestions are really appreciated, please keep them coming :smile: 

• Like 2

On my PC which I am at right now the grey text is better but the whole black thing is very tiring on my eyes. I have a headache still from using the site earlier today.

Also as you type text in the edit box it is still white.

Another thing i'm liking about this new layout is, that when i have more than 1 window open on my laptop, i can immediately see when i have a notification, when i'm browsing on another page, Facebook style notifications :thumbright:

9 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

On my PC which I am at right now the grey text is better but the whole black thing is very tiring on my eyes. I have a headache still from using the site earlier today.

Also as you type text in the edit box it is still white.

I see it is also still bright white in some signatures too. We'll look into this. 

If anyone complains about lack of contrast can we blame you please? :biggrin:

• Like 1

Great work everyone involved. It might take day or two to get used to it, but it looks fresh and looing forward to trying it on my mobile at work. Is the Tapatalk facility still working with the new look forum?

7 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

Great work everyone involved. It might take day or two to get used to it, but it looks fresh and looing forward to trying it on my mobile at work. Is the Tapatalk facility still working with the new look forum?

No it is not supported