Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Welcome to the new SGL!

38 minutes ago, Lowjiber said:

I welcomed the new format with open arms.  However, my Yahoo mailbox is being jammed full of notifications... about one per minute.

I attempted to shut it off, but can't.  I wrote the Admin a message literally begging for help.  Meanwhile, I've had to place SGL in my email SPAM folder just to keep from corrupting my email surface.

I hope to stick around, but may have to have my account closed if I can't get this fixed.

All you need to do is go to your notification settings and select the appropriate options.... simple as that really!

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new look is quite nice. But I feel it's lost something.

We seem to have replaced "Newest topics" with "Latest post/status update/blog" all in one. Because of the rate of people posting on the forum and, especially if the forum grows, I feel like new topics may go unnoticed if other popular threads get posted in shortly after someone makes a new thread. I know this has annoyed me. I don't know if it's possible to create something similar to "Unread content" but for new topics as opposed to a dump of everything happening on the forum?

Just about beginning to get to grips with it here. Thanks, admins, for all the hard work - I guess there are a few of you with caffeine hangovers today! :)

But as quite a few others have noted, I'm also wishing there wasn't so much empty space padding out the forum - it does make for an awful lot of unnecessary scrolling - especially on a mobile. I've had to switch off everyone's signatures to try to cut it down a bit, but of course that only works onl thread pages, and not index pages.

In a similar vein, is it really necessary to have sub-forum lists expanded on the main page? Getting rid of that would help. And do we really need to download and display the hundreds and hundreds of names of users who've been on the site in the last 24 hours every time we load the front page? At least the old desk-top site allowed that list to be collapsed, and the mobile site dispensed with stuff like that altogether (and rightly so).

1 hour ago, Lowjiber said:

I wrote the Admin a message literally begging for help.  Meanwhile, I've had to place SGL in my email SPAM folder just to keep from corrupting my email surface.

I hope to stick around, but may have to have my account closed if I can't get this fixed.

1 hour ago, Grant said:

I've not seen any messages from you to admin, where did you send the message and when?

I haven't received a message either but, as Rik says, anyone receiving more notifications than they want can switch them off.

'You' choose how many notifications you receive, not us. 

HTH :smile:

1 hour ago, PhotoGav said:

It said 'There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200'. Does that mean anything to you?!

Great news - it works perfectly for me now and I have posted my topic.

Thank you SGL for a lovely sparkly new, much to investigate, learn and format, forum. Onwards and upwards!

9 minutes ago, hgjevans said:

J... And do we really need to download and display the hundreds and hundreds of names of users who've been on the site in the last 24 hours every time we load the front page? At least the old desk-top site allowed that list to be collapsed, and the mobile site dispensed with stuff like that altogether (and rightly so).

Wow - I just mentioned it, and  hey presto - it's gone! Now that's what I call a feature. :)

1 minute ago, hgjevans said:

Wow - I just mentioned it, and  hey presto - it's gone! Now that's what I call a feature. :)

Good suggestion - this is now only turned on for admin - we find it useful to see how busy the forums have been and quickly jump to peoples profiles etc...

Amazing the amount of people that are already talking about leaving a wonderful FREE resource within hours of a major upgrade - before they have even had time to look / investigate to see if the problem is a setting they can change,

I for one LOVE the new look. Thanks to Grant and Steve for the hard work, time and effort they have put in. Plus all the mods for testing the new software before it went live.

cheers

28 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I can't even remember the old version any more now!!!

I know what you mean :biggrin:

Thank-you to all those who are making time to kick the tyres and offer feedback, a number of tweaks and changes have already been made as a result of suggestions posted in this thread :thumbright:

Btw, I have been asked about the new avatars. They are not connected in any way to the forum upgrade, every now and then the mods choose a theme then some of us change our avatars to suit. Currently the theme is Harry Potter. It is just for fun and if you are a Harry Potter fan please feel free to join in :icon_jokercolor:

Still finding my way around (only just got on top of the last update :icon_biggrin:)

I have condensed the 'recent posts' list and like that better (find I start here), I find the topics in bold larger font still a bit big & bright, can be regular text ?

I am using chrome on windows 15"laptop, also looks good on my 7" android tablet.

Finally sorted my problem - if you loose the options bar at the top of the page - just resize your browser by pulling it wider and the bar comes back. Hope that helps any one tearing their hair out like I was earlier - and I don't have much left as it is lol :)

brantuk, it's probably a mobile scaling feature. I suspect it collapsed everything on right into a more compact menu. Have to say, the mobile site looks sweet, except for when I press enter in the reply box. It keeps adding carriage returns and then refreshes the page

looking good - so far.  My only quibbles is the amount of space around everything.  It just takes a lot of scrolling.  My attachments are still showing as [attachment ....]  but i guess that will be resolved when the data has been transferred from the old server. Although some have disappeared altogether.

wow guess this was a massive job to transfer and get set up.  Well done to all involved

Firstly, thanks to you guys at SGL for putting the hard work in to for us. I like the layout, it definitely looks newer and fresher, and it works alot better on my android phone than the last version. 

Just one thing, on friday evening, before the site was shutdown for the upgrade, i started a thread and posted a picture, but now it's not showing my uploaded picture, will this come back at some point? Thanks 

5 hours ago, Grant said:

I've tweaked the linespace of message text and also, increased the size a tiny bit - does that help?

Not noticed an increase in font size, still have to hold the iPad much closer now, is the font much smaller than the previous version? Thanks

Chris

9 minutes ago, Neptune38 said:

Firstly, thanks 

Just one thing, on friday evening, before the site was shutdown for the upgrade, i started a thread and posted a picture, but now it's not showing my uploaded picture, will this come back at some point? Thanks 

Yes it might take a few hours there are around 3 million posts to be "upgraded"...

There are several background tasks running at the moment...

Peter...

The background image is the same of the FLO website...

I can understand that they proudly sponsor SGL, but now that I noticed this, it makes me feel to be in an astro shop.

Maybe a different background image? The universe is full of images. Alternatively, will it be a chance to customise the background in the future? 

I've been trying to find where I can edit my signature block, without having to ask in here...but this post means I've officially given up!  Is it the  'About Me' section in the profile?  I don't think it is because I don't see my current signature in there, but other than that I'm flummoxed.  Thanks in advance.

- Stu

I've been trying to find where I can edit my signature block, without having to ask in here...but this post means I've officially given up!  Is it the  'About Me' section in the profile?  I don't think it is because I don't see my current signature in there, but other than that I'm flummoxed.  Thanks in advance.

If you click on the drop down box at the side of your username the menu will show settings, account settings. Open that and it's the last tab on the right.

100,000 thanks to those who are hosting and providing this site.  I was wondering where the funding comes from and recently bought a Telrad from FLO.  I've enjoyed and profited from SGL very much over the past 3 years so thanks very much!  Looks different, and sure it's better though I've only just logged in and started exploring. 

Archived