Narrowband

Welcome to the new SGL!

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if the forum bug Grant just mentioned also accounts for my three observations shared yesterday?

Re notifications.

Select the bell icon, then select notification settings (top right) then keep scrolling down on that new page and at the bottom is a list of all available notification settings.

Hi guys

is there no way to display the members status anymore, we still have the ability to create/update a status but unless i haven't found the option theres no longer any point in the status'.

Also and this is a minor, the little 'Return to the top of the page' arrow has gone, it was handy after finally getting to the bottom of a really long thread page.

Cheers

Return to top is now in the bottom left 'go to top' and should be there on all themes.

Member statuses will appear in the streams / feeds but I will look to add it back on to the sidebar as well...

I do like a feature that I have just found, its the Hide (Username) signature, along with hide all signatures, I have found some signatures that are 8 lines or more a bit annoying, especially when they have replied to a message 3 or 4 times, it makes some very long scroll up when you have problems with hands.

4 hours ago, Grant said:

Browser notifications have to be disabled in your browser, so depending what browser you are using will depend where you need to go. In Chrome, if you click on the little green padlock in the address bar when in SGL, under there is the notification setting and you can change your preference from 'Allowed By You' to 'Always Block on this Site'.

For browser notifications to be enabled there would've been a popup which you would've needed to have said yes to - browser notifications cannot get turned on automatically because they are a client side function built into your browser.

It isn't possible to receive notifications for things you aren't following but, anybody you were friends with on the previous forum you now follow in the new forum so it's most likely it's one of these that are posting which is why you are getting notified. You can check this in your followed items: https://stargazerslounge.com/followed/.

Hope that helps :)

Hii

I have not said yes to any popup, if fact I run a blocker.

Now as I have not altered anything and it only started with the new software and it does not happen with any other site, IMHO it IS something the new software has done and I would like to switch it off please.

I am using Firefox.

2 minutes ago, keithatrochdale said:

Hii

I have not said yes to any popup, if fact I run a blocker.

Now as I have not altered anything and it only started with the new software and it does not happen with any other site, IMHO it IS something the new software has done and I would like to switch it off please.

I am using Firefox.

It isn't a popup it's a permissions window that asks if you would like to receive browser notifications from SGL - it is a firefox setting so it is not something we can switch off from here, you have to switch it off at your end.

To switch it off in firefox, go to Tools - Options - Content, then notifications and click on choose, you can add or remove and then click save.

It is not physically possible for us to force your browser to turn notifications on - the first time you visited SGL after the upgrade, a permissions window in your browser would have asked you if you want to enable them or not - by default, they are not enabled unless you specifically say yes. The only other way they could be on is if your browser is set to have notifications turned on for all sites but again, this is not the default setting.

Its a new feature that came in the last update on Firefox iirc, It was automatically turned on.

but here are the details how to turn it off in Firefox - In Firefox, go to Tools - Options - Content, then notifications and click on choose, you can add or remove sites listed and then click save changes.

Let me stress again - this is not something that SGL will suddenly start doing unless your browser settings are configured to allow this or, you specifically say yes when your browser asks you if you want to enable this feature for SGL - it is a browser feature that SGL now supports NOT something that SGL is forcing on you. Prior to the upgrade, SGL didn't support this feature which is why you are seeing it now.

I found these instructions for Opera:

• Go to Opera > Preferences (Mac)/ Settings (Windows)
  • Go to the Websites tab and scroll to the Notifications section
  • Click on the Manage Exceptions..... button to see the sites whose notification permissions you've already Allowed or Denied
  • When you see Stargazers Lounge in that list, click the “X” next to Allow to remove it from the list.
  • Click “Done.”

10 minutes ago, keithatrochdale said:

Hi thanks for your reply, I meant to say I am using Opera.

I do not recall giving anybody permission to send me anything and TBH it is blumming annoying when it keeps on making a noise and poping up.

Also - the sound might be a different setting rather than the browser notifications - check your notification settings here: https://stargazerslounge.com/notifications/options/

There is a tick box to play a sound when you receive a notification.

37 minutes ago, Grant said:

Also - the sound might be a different setting rather than the browser notifications - check your notification settings here: https://stargazerslounge.com/notifications/options/

There is a tick box to play a sound when you receive a notification.

Thanks finally I have peace and quiet - until next time.

3 hours ago, mcsheffield said:

I do like a feature that I have just found, its the Hide (Username) signature, along with hide all signatures, I have found some signatures that are 8 lines or more a bit annoying, especially when they have replied to a message 3 or 4 times, it makes some very long scroll up when you have problems with hands.

That feature has been in the forum for some time.

I would like a way to alter our profile for the notifications as shown below in italic  bold and underlined:

Method to use for content I follow automatically

• A notification when new content is posted
  • One email per day with all new content from that day
  • One email per week with all new content from that week
  • No notifications
  •  
  • The choice is too limited as it is. It took me a while to realise how to shut off all the emails I was receiving. I have altered my setup to stop all sorts of things some of which I would like just to stop the emails!

3 minutes ago, Physopto said:

I would like a way to alter our profile for the notifications as shown below in italic  bold and underlined:

Method to use for content I follow automatically

• A notification when new content is posted
  • One email per day with all new content from that day
  • One email per week with all new content from that week
  • No notifications
  •  
  • The choice is too limited as it is. It took me a while to realise how to shut off all the emails I was receiving. I have altered my setup to stop all sorts of things some of which I would like just to stop the emails!

Scroll down on the notifications setting page and then untick the options you don't want to receive emails for - you can even untick the notification list so that you can follow things automatically but not get any form of notification at all for them...

24 minutes ago, cgarry said:

@LukeSkywatcher

Speaking of signatures Paul, yours does not work very well when viewing the forum with the Simple theme.  White text on a white background is tricky to read!

Cheers,
Chris

Let me have a look and maybe i can alter it so it reads well across all themes. I didnt think i had any white text in my sig that wouldnt show up on a white background.

Could search be looked at please? So that only the first occurrence for a thread is returned and not each post in a thread so search results are easier to use please.

Could we have the ability when in an edit box to delete any file uploaded before we submit a reply please? Currently the only way to cancel a reply process is to close the browser entirely but the image is on the server somewhere.

Archived