Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

admin

Welcome to the new SGL!

26 minutes ago, Paul M said:

But honestly, what was wrong with mailing lists and bulletin boards?

Change for the sake of it if you ask me!:)

Nothing at all.  I still use mailing lists :)

James

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

Not that I'm bothered, but I feel I should mention it in case it's an indicator of something untoward: I've just noticed that my post count has dropped by somewhere in the region of perhaps 700 to 800 posts since the upgrade (that's something of a guess to be honest -- I couldn't actually say what the actual figure was with any degree of certainty).

I'd probably not have noticed at all were it not for the fact that I remember passing 25,000 a few weeks back, and now I get the thrill of doing it again :D

James

This is correct and normal - your posts are still all there (go to your profile and find content, you actually have in the region of 27900 posts!). Your post count is less because we don't count non-astro areas of the forum towards post counts.

During the upgrade, post counts were counted from scratch - in the old forum, the post count was a continuous thing so if posts got deleted your post count didn't always go down and, we only stopped counting non-astro areas of the forum in post counts year or so ago, so before that point those posts counted - during the upgrade and the recount, they didn't.

TL:DR - your posts are all still there but your post count is now correct and accurate and doesn't include non-astro area posts.

32 minutes ago, Paul M said:

But honestly, what was wrong with mailing lists and bulletin boards?

Change for the sake of it if you ask me!:)

I still miss Joanna Lumley saying "You have mail...:wub:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grant said:

This is correct and normal - your posts are still all there (go to your profile and find content, you actually have in the region of 27900 posts!). Your post count is less because we don't count non-astro areas of the forum towards post counts.

During the upgrade, post counts were counted from scratch - in the old forum, the post count was a continuous thing so if posts got deleted your post count didn't always go down and, we only stopped counting non-astro areas of the forum in post counts year or so ago, so before that point those posts counted - during the upgrade and the recount, they didn't.

Makes perfect sense.  I didn't realise non-astro posts used to be counted.  For some reason I thought they never had been.

I can be the only SGL user (I think) to pass the 25,000 mark twice :D

James

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mick J said:

Click the white spot/dot or star to the left of the thread title instead.  Hovering the mouse over gives 'Go to first unread post'  the clock icon to the right goes to latest post.

I can't get that to work on my mobile or my Chromebook, the two ways I browse SGL.  Wonder if I'm missing something?

45 minutes ago, wheresthetorch? said:

I can't get that to work on my mobile or my Chromebook, the two ways I browse SGL.  Wonder if I'm missing something?

Interesting, works for me on Win7 laptop/chrome, 7"android tablet 5.1/chrome&dolphin,  MotoG android phone 5.1/chrome&dolphin  all middle theme (desktop v1)

3 minutes ago, Mick J said:

Interesting, works for me on Win7 laptop/chrome, 7"android tablet 5.1/chrome&dolphin,  MotoG android phone 5.1/chrome&dolphin  all middle theme (desktop v1)

Weird.  I've tried all three themes, and nothing happens when I hover over star/dot etc by thread title.  If I hover over the thread title itself I get a choice of first or last post, but not last read post.

Feel a bit dense.  :dontknow:

Its all very nice and now im starting to figure where things are im quite liking it. However i assume at this point its still syncing? I hope so because I do have to say its a bit sluggish, kinda reminds me of me on a Sunday morning. 

Thanks Grant, Admins et al, the new SGL upgrade has cost me 1000's £. I couldn't login to SGL so made the mistake of logging into Autotrader and spotted a vehicle that was on my longer term wish list. It's now parked at my mate's awaiting my collection.

Seriously though, keep up the good work, I've learned such a lot from the folk around here.

Rich

• Like 1

Search is returning every post in a thread with the search word, on my sample I search for 'virtuoso' and on page one of the search the same post was listed 7 times. When you pick an entry you are taken to the exact page that search returned and not the last position of you last visit to that thread.

I expected just one entry for a thread if it had the search word included, not many times for each reply occurrence in a thread, makes for very verbose result, could search go on a diet please.

I understand that perhaps the reindex processing would mean that revisiting old threads would then be at page 1, but I have found the only threads that know where you last viewed are ones that I have posted on since the upgrade. If I view a thread and say view page 6 of 10 on next visit to that thread I am still shown page 1. 

Edit: just selected a post from the new content list that I had replied to earlier today and is a new thread since upgrade and it took me to post 1 so my earlier finding did not repeat. I then went to the forum section the post was in and selected it and I still was shown post 1.

Please can it be possible to clear whilst in post writing to remove the uploaded image. On my pc I have a started reply with an image I uploaded but it is not possible to abandon the image or in fact the reply. Even a control f5 is not clearing the started reply. I had to shut the browser before it would clear the reply box but not the image I wanted to delete I assume that is now on the server somewhere.

Hope these findings are useful.

PS the tablet viewing is improved, thank you.

Edited by happy-kat
expaning observation

On 1/24/2016 at 15:42, pipnina said:

The new look is quite nice. But I feel it's lost something.

We seem to have replaced "Newest topics" with "Latest post/status update/blog" all in one. Because of the rate of people posting on the forum and, especially if the forum grows, I feel like new topics may go unnoticed if other popular threads get posted in shortly after someone makes a new thread. I know this has annoyed me. I don't know if it's possible to create something similar to "Unread content" but for new topics as opposed to a dump of everything happening on the forum?

The more I use it, the more I have the same feeling. 

Now, I often have to load 2-3 pages to see the content that I previously saw on the first page. And in those 2-3 pages there are so many repeated streams/ previous updates (right terms??) about posts belonging to the same thread, which just confuse me. 

And an additional problem is that I don't necessarily remember all the titles that I am not necessarily interested, so I have to read them each time! As it is now, I fear that users will likely read the first one / two pages and forget the others, meaning (as pipnina said), that the most popular threads will be read and read again, whereas the less popular will be quickly lost.

I say this after creating three personal streams: equipment+observing, equipment, and observing. I cannot even imagine if I switch to 'All Activities'. 

I am afraid to say this, but the choice to show every answer for each thread doesn't go towards quality to me. Maybe it is good for moderators who carefully pay attention to as many post as possible, but for a normal member (like me), this can be confusing and distracting. 

EDIT: 

1. Maybe, this is due to my poor English, but in Edit this stream->Show me (see below), does the radiobox Content items, comments, and reviews mean "Content items and all content updates"? Sorry, but this was not obvious to me at all, and I found that by default all my streams were set to show all content updates. 

2. Would it be possible to have Custom Streams on the main menu, please? If these are user configurations, they should be accessible easily. As it is now one has to do a few steps before changing to a favourite stream. Also, would it be possible to open those menus on the right rather than on the bottom, please? It is tricky to navigate them as one has often to use the page scroll.

Edited by Piero

I've created 2 different streams (I think!), but I can't figure out how to switch between them? All I get is the default "posts un-read" stream. I'm on Android and using the SGL simplev1 scheme.

Ian

Hi

How do I get rid notifications, I get this message when I try and change preferences, but with ni way to switch it off;

Browser notifications enabled

Thanks

After a few days of using this new forum its mostly good what I see and the more recent tweaks have helped as well. I am using Android tablet most of the time and the only problem I am finding is this.

Press unread button, scroll down to bottom and press load more activity then if I read a topic and press the back button to exit I am returned to the very beginning. If this happens after you have loaded more activity a few times it becomes very frustrating being put back to the start. Is it possible after pressing unread to have all the unread listed in page numbers like it was on the old forum and like it is in the actual threads? Then you could see how many pages are ahead and easily navigate between them. At the moment I feel I am missing lots of threads and end up marking the whole siten as read to catch up.

But I accept this might be something I can do from here, if anyone knows please do tell.

Edited by JG777
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, keithatrochdale said:

Hi

How do I get rid notifications, I get this message when I try and change preferences, but with ni way to switch it off;

Browser notifications enabled

Thanks

Could someone please elaborate on this. I keep getting notifications about threads that I have not even followed or posted to.

Where do I disable "browser notifications"

Browser notifications have to be disabled in your browser, so depending what browser you are using will depend where you need to go. In Chrome, if you click on the little green padlock in the address bar when in SGL, under there is the notification setting and you can change your preference from 'Allowed By You' to 'Always Block on this Site'.

For browser notifications to be enabled there would've been a popup which you would've needed to have said yes to - browser notifications cannot get turned on automatically because they are a client side function built into your browser.

It isn't possible to receive notifications for things you aren't following but, anybody you were friends with on the previous forum you now follow in the new forum so it's most likely it's one of these that are posting which is why you are getting notified. You can check this in your followed items: https://stargazerslounge.com/followed/.

Hope that helps :)

1 hour ago, JG777 said:

After a few days of using this new forum its mostly good what I see and the more recent tweaks have helped as well. I am using Android tablet most of the time and the only problem I am finding is this.

Press unread button, scroll down to bottom and press load more activity then if I read a topic and press the back button to exit I am returned to the very beginning. If this happens after you have loaded more activity a few times it becomes very frustrating being put back to the start. Is it possible after pressing unread to have all the unread listed in page numbers like it was on the old forum and like it is in the actual threads? Then you could see how many pages are ahead and easily navigate between them. At the moment I feel I am missing lots of threads and end up marking the whole siten as read to catch up.

But I accept this might be something I can do from here, if anyone knows please do tell.

Yes, this bugs me too. The old pagination approach worked OK, why change? How can we retain all the downloaded topics when we return after viewing a thread? I've resorted to opening a thread in a new tab so as to avoid this happening, but it is a bit of a pain doing that.

Any answers to my streams question above, anybody?

Ian

The issue with streams and going back and losing your place is a serious annoyance with the new software and looking into this issue, we aren't the only people complaining to the forum developers about this issue - they have confirmed they are working on a better way of handling it so you won't lose your place when going back to the stream - I don't have any more information on how this will work or when it will get updated but as soon as I know more, I will let you all know.

For now - opening things in a new tab is what I am doing.

• Like 1

I'm trying to get my head around the notification system.  It seems that a 'notification' always includes an e-mail (although I can cut down the frequency of e-mails).  Under the old system, I would get the 'red' notifications in the top right corner for forum posts and messages, but I would only get an e-mail if someone sent me a PM.  I would prefer to set things up in the old way.  Is this possible?  (I came home to around 40 SGL e-mails this lunchtime!!).

Thanks for your help and apologies if I have missed an obvious button somewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gnomus said:

I'm trying to get my head around the notification system.  It seems that a 'notification' always includes an e-mail (although I can cut down the frequency of e-mails).  Under the old system, I would get the 'red' notifications in the top right corner for forum posts and messages, but I would only get an e-mail if someone sent me a PM.  I would prefer to set things up in the old way.  Is this possible?  (I came home to around 40 SGL e-mails this lunchtime!!).

Thanks for your help and apologies if I have missed an obvious button somewhere.

This is all controlled in your notification settings, you can access these through the notifications popup or go directly here: https://stargazerslounge.com/notifications/options/

There are two sections so scroll down the page to see what notifications are set to email and simply untick the ones you don't want.

The default for new users is only for PM's to get emailed to you, everything else is a forum notification only - it's possible some of these settings changed during the upgrade because of changes to to the way the notification system now works so it's best everybody takes a look at their settings and choose the options that suit them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grant said:

This is all controlled in your notification settings, you can access these through the notifications popup or go directly here: https://stargazerslounge.com/notifications/options/

There are two sections so scroll down the page to see what notifications are set to email and simply untick the ones you don't want.

The default for new users is only for PM's to get emailed to you, everything else is a forum notification only - it's possible some of these settings changed during the upgrade because of changes to to the way the notification system now works so it's best everybody takes a look at their settings and choose the options that suit them.

Oh .... so it is.  Thanks for the prompt reply and apologies for bothering you with my question.  ("Scroll down" was the key!!!)

Steve

Edited by gnomus

Hi Grant,

Thank you for the reply. It seems that I was getting notifications when people I was "Friends" with on the old software posted. I did not realise that I was "Following" them. Rightly or wrongly I have stopped following them. Doing so has probably made them think that I want nothing whatsoever to do with them - not so.

I am using Internet Explorer 11 at work and Firefox at home, no idea how to turn off the "Browser notifications" on either of these, although I suspect I have fixed the problem by unfollowing everyone :happy11:

Now everyone can see how big a numpty I am when it comes to computers. Thankfully Grant, you appear to be significantly better. I am getting more used to the new forum software

Do I need my email address in my settings ? is it visible to others or just me ? don't know where it came from as it's an old Yahoo one that I haven't used for ages.

Dave

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Do I need my email address in my settings ? is it visible to others or just me ? don't know where it came from as it's an old Yahoo one that I haven't used for ages.

Dave

Every account has to have an email address - it's used for resetting your password and any notifications you choose to receive that way. It isn't visible to other users.

If it's incorrect, then you can update it in your settings page - it is best to keep an up to date email address there in case you ever need to reset your password.

• Like 1