Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Welcome to the new SGL!

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't suppose there is an option for "Back To Top" when I get to the end of a thread? I mostly use a tablet and it seems a long way scrolling to get back to the top.

It also seems a little slow, but I guess this is to do with the background tasks that are still running, so i'll reserve judgment on that until next week.

Need to get used to the new paragraph setting when editing, but overall I like the upgrade, good work.

I also know how much effort is involved in maintaining multiple versions, so anything that comes with multi version support, I'm in favour of.

1 minute ago, r3i said:

One thing I noticed (apologies if already mentioned by someone else) is that the signature section that was displayed at the bottom of a user's post is no longer present.

You can turn this feature on or off, on the same page you adjust your signature.

Just now, DevonSkies said:

I'm not a fan of the "mobile" layout when using a tablet. Is there an option to see the desktop layout instead when using a tablet?

For me (iPad II) it flips automatically between desktop and mobile depending on if I hold the tablet in vertical or horizontal position. 

2 minutes ago, DevonSkies said:

I'm not a fan of the "mobile" layout when using a tablet. Is there an option to see the desktop layout instead when using a tablet?

Change your theme bottom left to 'SGL - Desktop v1' - this will force a desktop style layout even when on a mobile device.

3 minutes ago, trazor said:

You can turn this feature on or off, on the same page you adjust your signature.

Thanks, I found the settings for this eventually.  However the feature was supposed to be switched on but I'm not seeing anyone's signature - perhaps it's an issue with viewing the site on a tablet?

Okay, here are my opinion & questions. 

Overall, I think it is very elegant, functions seem to respond better and faster than the previous version. :thumbsup:

Congratulations for the work you did, it must have taken a lot of your (free) time and overall I think what you did is very good! 

Now, questions (on minor points):

- I am not a Facebook fan, so I apologise, but I am not familiar with the 'stream' concept. How can I 'create' a stream (hopefully the terminology is correct!) to get a similar behaviour to the previous `View New Contents`? As far as I got it, the latter listed the threads by most recent date, which makes sense with my limited knowledge of forums. I am a bit lost with the meaning of `Unread Content`. If this shows only the unread content, it seems a bit difficult to me to remember exactly where I posted by heart. Possibly, enabling a default stream similar showing something similar to the previous `View New Contents` is not a bad idea and would help users in this transition. Just an idea of course.

EDIT: is `View New Contents` now called `All Activities` ?

- One thing I don't see and, I am afraid, but I think is important, is the name of the original poster on the board of threads. I explain a bit better. Let's say I select `Unread Content`, for each thread on that page, I can see who was the last poster, but I cannot see who is the original poster. Maybe it is just me, but when I decide to post on a thread, I think it is polite to refer to the OP (original poster), not to the LP (last poster). Also, a thread is often referred to as (Thread Name by OP).

EDIT: why not having `poster title` followed by `by original_poster_name` (e.g. I viewed Mars for the first time started by Astronaut123 ). There is plenty of space to add this information.

- Spacing. I would prefer to have this a bit reduced to be honest, but if the majority prefers as it is now, then I will get used to it. 

EDIT: I tried the combination of keyboard buttons: "CTRL" + "-"  (to revert: "CTRL" + "+") on my browser (basically zooming 90%) and this solves my 'spacing minor point'. Hopefully this can be of help for other members too.  

Thanks for all your work again, it is amazing. :)

Piero

21 minutes ago, Lowjiber said:

There must be a way to switch to a different color scheme.  This white-on-black is almost painful.

If you are using Firefox on a Mac you can force the browser to override the theme of the site by going to Preferences >> Content >> Colours and selecting the tick box "Use system colours" and select "Always" from the drop-down list. This will apply to all sites, not just SGL.

Grant, I have noticed that the background used for quotes is very similar to that used in the main body of a post, which makes it really difficult to distinguish between what is quoted and what is written in response. This is particularly a problem for older threads as the new format quote title doesn't seem to exist but even on new posts it is not easy to separate one poster's words from another.

Is there a separate setting that you could use to give quotes a different colour background?

2 hours ago, Bizibilder said:

If you want to "compress" the "New Content" page - just use the toggle button at the top right of the page. (Saves wearing out your finger tip on the mouse wheel!!)

I just discovered that.  It's a huge improvement.

James

Hi, my first observation so far with the new site, when  I first logged on  with my S3 Tablet  [Android]  I could not access the red highlighted messages, but get them straight away after logging in on the PC.

No-one likes change  and from my perspective, the site was ok  before the update,  yet we will all  have to overcome and adapt to the new changes, like them or not!, take it or leave it. its FREE.

I'm sure there will be more issues to overcome, and many new aspects  or procedures to find and  learn,  I'm just glad I don't have to attend to the grief this will cause some folk:help:

First impressions are that I like the new layout. I won't ever use any of the streams, Facebook buttons and other "fancy"stuff but as a forum my opinion is that it has certainly achieved what you set out for. Thank you 

2 hours ago, Jim78154 said:

It is just beautiful, but the font is much too small for these old eyes.

Oddly I'm finding the font and the spacing between lines too large.  I've not worked out if it's possible to change that just for SGL yet.

James

Hello, and welcome back SGL !  :icon_salut:

This is going to take some time to get use to, but hey, its a new adventure :smiley:. I can't even work a VCR, and they are obsolete, lol. Well, at least now I can get a new mug to keep the old one company. 

PICT0002 (Medium).JPG

Archived