SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Welcome to the new SGL!

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

personally...I like it and an upgrade for security can't be a bad thing, people hate change sometimes, that's life!..but not liking a forum for its look is not what its about...its the content surely?...great work SGL..long may it continue, calv.

i love it, i liked the old one, but this is better, it seams more polished and pleasing to the eye, i dont have the best of eye sight but i find this new one easyer to read and its much clearer. thanks guys for doing a wonderful job. clear skys, charl.

All looks good to me after a quick browse, looking forward to exploring more, watching the forum change into everything the effort put in hoped it will be... 

I mostly use use the desk top site also, wonder if the line spacing issue is more prevalent in the mobile version....?

thanks for the hard work so far.

Edit... Oh I see it now with the line spacing, still though it's easy enough to navigate around that.. 

I was going to say I missed the unread content button but found it in the Activity & my activity streams option, so it's just a matter off messing around & getting your head round it doesn't take to long really.

After using and trying to find my way around for the last hour, I still am not keen at all, this theme is really based on mobile users and not for iPad and laptop or PC users, which is great for those that use it on a mobile phone, but I am sure the majority of people don't...

there shouls be a full blown PC version, like we had before and a seperate mobile version, instead of trying to get a one fits all....

as in my experience it does not work.

sorry, but I really do appreciate the time you guys put into it, but feel that we should give our opinions.

:)

AB

8 minutes ago, Bizibilder said:

If you want to "compress" the "New Content" page - just use the toggle button at the top right of the page. (Saves wearing out your finger tip on the mouse wheel!!)

yes I found that but that is not really the point, i can collapse all the forums but that means if i want to go into one i expand it then collapse again? sorry that is not a solution except for the forums I never visit

14 minutes ago, Astroboffin said:

i realise a lot of hard work goes into it, and I appreciate that, but if it ain't broke then leave well alone.......

Unfortunately leaving things unchanged is not an option because, over time, forum platforms become outdated then support for them (including the all-important security updates) ends. Change is necessary and whilst we cannot promise to please everyone we always do our best to include suggestions and feedback so please keep them coming :smile:

But please be gentle with Grant, I don't think he has slept over the last 48-hrs... 

1 minute ago, DaveGarland said:

I like it. But I used to like using Tapatalk to browse the forum. It doesn't seem to work with Tapatalk now. Will this be fixed? :sad2:

NO

that was said before the upgrade, as there weren't enough people using tap talk......

but maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong..

:)

AB

1 minute ago, Dave Lloyd said:

I'm also finding my way about very slowly. I suppose eventually it will become as intuitive as the old one.

Whenever we update some find it unsettling and want things put back the way they were but this new layout will soon become familiar and, when we next upgrade, will be the one every one wants back... :smile:

But we really do appreciate the feedback so please keep it coming. 

17 minutes ago, Bizibilder said:

The New Content button is also to be found at the top right of the home page.  It can also be found at the bottom of each page - look at the bottom right of this one to see it :icon_razz:

Oh so it is lol DOH!! Mind you it is the same colour grey so doesn't stand out very well, maybe a different colour font would help.
Cheers.

1 minute ago, Cjg said:

Is there a way to ncrease the default font size used please? It's a little too small for my eyesight (even with varifocals).

Chris, I can't find any user-definable display settings on the new forum but you should be able to adjust the font size in your browser. On a Mac you can do that by holding down the Cmd button and hitting the + key. I think the same thing works in Windows.

OK trying the editor :D   Everything new takes some getting used to so I'll not pass comment yet.  Anyway, I've only been looking at it for a few minutes and that's certainly not long enough to form an opinion.  In general I don't like changes but but I'm quite prepared to persevere.  Like with foods - "new, improved flavour" may mean that if you liked the product before, you won't like it any more !

Back to SGL...  I haven't seen anything yet that I actually hate  :icon_salut:  So that's a good start.  The only way to find out if you like something is to use it though I do endorse the request for an "idiots guide" or "SGL for Dummies" :)  Even after 73 years of experience in this world I can certainly be a dummy at times :icon_redface::icon_rolleyes:

Anyway, so far so good :)

BTW Looks like paragraph spacing is ine and a half lines - is that right - if so, I like it :)  I use 1.5 line spacing for paragraphs in documents and much prefer it to double line spacing.

Lets try the list function - I use that a lot

1. this is item one
  2. and this is item 2
  3. this is number three
  4. while this is the 4th item - he, he :)

Oh yes that's fine :)

Another example...

1. First
  2. second
  3. third
  4. AND this is to test a long item with more than one line of text so I'mg going to have to dream up a whole doe#se of absolute and compleye rubbish to make this long enought to word wrap ha, ha.  So this is the second sentence of a multi-line listing test purewly for fun an games and I do like to play with things a bit at times to see how well they work and I have to admit so far I'm fonding this quite acceptable and looking good.  If this continues I shall be a "happy bunny".  And let me tell you all - if there's anything wrong Im pretty good at finding it i' definitely "and awkward sod" at times :icon_razz:

Good - that fine :)  Should be the same with bullets...

• First
  • second
  • third
  • AND this is to test a long item with more than one line of text so I'mg going to have to dream up a whole doe#se of absolute and compleye rubbish to make this long enought to word wrap ha, ha.  So this is the second sentence of a multi-line listing test purewly for fun an games and I do like to play with things a bit at times to see how well they work and I have to admit so far I'm fonding this quite acceptable and looking good.  If this continues I shall be a "happy bunny".  And let me tell you all - if there's anything wrong Im pretty good at finding it i' definitely "and awkward sod" at times :icon_razz:

OH yes - works perfectly :) :)

Finally - thank you to the admin team who have "busted a gut" to get SGL back up and running ASAP.  Well done folks :)  And I approve of getting it up even before absolutely everything is working as it should.  Hats off you you all :icon_salut: and salutes of course- as per the Smilie :D

8 minutes ago, DaveGarland said:

I like it. But I used to like using Tapatalk to browse the forum. It doesn't seem to work with Tapatalk now. Will this be fixed? :sad2:

Tapatalk will not return. It was being used less and less but continued to be the most burdensome part of the forum to maintain and update. This new forum software has a much better mobile theme so hopefully it will soon become familiar and you will no longer miss Tapatalk. 

1 minute ago, DaveGarland said:

That's a real shame it won't be working with Tapatalk. The website is a lot slower on my phone than using Tapatalk. Also trying to quote someone just crashes Firefox on my phone. I can see this being a problem for me.

Ah, I can quote on Internet Explorer though :) 

Archived