SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Welcome to the new SGL!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes.

Any chance you can relax the flood control on searches a bit and/or allow us to change the default sort for a search to "By date" rather than "Relevance"? It's a bit of a pain to do a search, then have to wait 30 seconds before changing the sort order.

If I missed a setting for this, apologies in advance!

Thanks! Pete

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

I have found a solution to the member using a laptop and no mouse. If you want to make any Chrome page zoom in or out so you can set the text the size you prefer use the control key with either the + or - key.

This solution and the mouse wheel solution just zooms the whole page, not just the text in question and is therefore not a satisfactory workaround.  This is because it shrinks shrinks the images and the reply box as well as the giant text.  It makes more sense for the minority of users that require huge text to use the browser's zoom feature or the OS's accessibility features rather than giant text to be the default and everybody else have to zoom out and then zoom back in again to look at images and the reply box.

@Grant and the Admin team:  Thanks for your patience and hard work at this time of mild turmoil, but please, please please don't make the text size bigger again!

Cheers,
Chris

A couple of things I'm missing in the new forum.

One is "goto first unread post" -have I overlooked something there?

The other is that I tend to use the unread posts listing to go through the forum. Previously if I clicked on a post then used the back button to get back to the list all was well as the list was broken into bite-sized pages.

Now it jumps back to the start of the list. So if I've just gone to read something on page 7, I have to scroll back through every page to get to where I was.

Is there another way to do this? 

14 minutes ago, kens said:

The other is that I tend to use the unread posts listing to go through the forum. Previously if I clicked on a post then used the back button to get back to the list all was well as the list was broken into bite-sized pages.

Now it jumps back to the start of the list. So if I've just gone to read something on page 7, I have to scroll back through every page to get to where I was.

Is there another way to do this? 

It's worse than that though, isn't it? On the old site the post list was paginated, but now if you want to search down the list you have to keep on "loading more". Then if you use the back button, the only way to get back to your original place is to go through the rigmarole of "downloading more" all over again! You can't just scroll down again. Unless there's a way around this, the usability is now inferior to what it once was. What was wrong with pagination anyway? That system is still used within the post, thank goodness!

Ian

27 minutes ago, kens said:

Yes. There is a white dot on threads with unread posts in. Hover over this and it will say " first unread post"  Click and job done :)

HTH 

1 hour ago, Dave In Vermont said:

It's actually a good change. But it will take a bit before folks are used to it. Such is the nature of doing something like changing the tap on the kitchen-sink to give hot water on the right, rather than on the left. I'm sure all will be well in a short due course.

Back to norbal,

Dave

The trouble is Dave, I don't think I'd ever get used to that! And the corollary is, "Why was it necessary to swap them over?" Same with websites!

Ian

"I don't like change unless there is a compelling reason."

The compelling reasons were - support for the old forum software was terminated, and, new security issues had to be addressed.

We upgraded EMS forum for the same reasons a few months ago. This layout is about the nearest you can get to the old forum - and the look and feel is a bit slicker. Text size, new lines, and viewing latest post, are minor issues that involve a small change of practise or method. Nothing to "hate" or "leave" over imho. :)

53 minutes ago, cgarry said:

It makes more sense for the minority of users that require huge text to use the browser's zoom feature or the OS's accessibility features rather than giant text to be the default and everybody else have to zoom out and then zoom back in again to look at images and the reply box.

As previsously written since the site change the inbuilt Chrome Android accessability function to increase text is being ignored by the forum. Pinch zoom can also not be used as the site does not text reflow.

The Simple theme provided the black on white background that some members needed to be able to read the site coupled with the bigger text as the site was launched with two standard themes not useable for some members, like me, on either a PC or Tablet. Many thanks to Grant for adding this theme.

The ideal solutuion would be for the Chome accessability text scaling function to work again on this site and so far I can't find anything on searching the net on IPS forum to offer any suggestions.

12 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

As previsously written since the site change the inbuilt Chrome Android accessability function to increase text is being ignored by the forum. Pinch zoom can also not be used as the site does not text reflow.

The Simple theme provided the black on white background that some members needed to be able to read the site coupled with the bigger text as the site was launched with two standard themes not useable for some members, like me, on either a PC or Tablet. Many thanks to Grant for adding this theme.

The ideal solutuion would be for the Chome accessability text scaling function to work again on this site and so far I can't find anything on searching the net on IPS forum to offer any suggestions.

I was one of the members requesting black text on a white background, but I do not see how this goes hand in hand with giant text.  The huge text made the theme unusable for me.

If I use the zoom function in Chrome (on W7) to make the page contents larger, then the text reflows perfectly.  I wonder why this is not working for others as it would seem to be the obvious solution.

Chris

I like the SGL Simple theme, but you can't see the white ("Mark as read"\"Jump to unread post") buttons on the forum pages - is it possible to change these to Black within the theme?

Added some images to demonstrate, with a before and a slight tweak to CSS to demo a proposed after.

before

Capture1.PNG

css tweak

Capture3.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Using the PC all is fine I can with the black on white theme control the text size so that it is easy to read. I could not use the white on black regardless of text size.

The issue is when using on a mobile device, my Android tablet which is for over 80% of my internet use. I will just use the PC as and when it is turned on.

@cgarry @happy-kat one more go at finding a happy balance - the simple theme now adjusts the font size depending on if you are on a large screen or not - so if you are on a smaller screen (phone, tablet) you get the slightly bigger font size. If you are on a desktop, you get the medium text size - does this work for you guys?

46 minutes ago, rockystar said:

I like the SGL Simple theme, but you can't see the white ("Mark as read"\"Jump to unread post") buttons on the forum pages - is it possible to change these to Black within the theme?

Added some images to demonstrate, with a before and a slight tweak to CSS to demo a proposed after.

before

Capture1.PNG

css tweak

Capture3.PNG

Capture2.PNG

This is fixed now - thanks for letting me know :)

On 24/01/2016 at 10:00, Grant said:

Why are the spaces so big?
The editor now defaults to starting a new paragraph when you press enter. Once you get used to this, it is easier because in most cases, that's what you want to do when you move down a line. If you do want to go to the next line, press 'Shift' and 'Enter' instead.

Makes sense now and works for me, and I have just applied this method  to my Signature block, another positive.
I liked the original site,  I think most folk did,  we  just have to  adopt  to the  new changes,   there's  no going back.

7 minutes ago, Grant said:

@cgarry @happy-kat one more go at finding a happy balance - the simple theme now adjusts the font size depending on if you are on a large screen or not - so if you are on a smaller screen (phone, tablet) you get the slightly bigger font size. If you are on a desktop, you get the medium text size - does this work for you guys?

Seems perfect to me on both my laptop and my tiny smartphone!

Thanks again,
Chris

3 minutes ago, calli said:

Is there a possibility to exclude some forums from a Stream? I.e. if I dont want to read "Non Astronomy"?

Cheers,

Carsten

Yes - you can create your own stream and customise it how you like and choose what forums it looks in etc.. Then you can set that to be your default stream.

Once things settle down, I will write or record a guide (unless somebody wants to have a go?).

Not that I'm bothered, but I feel I should mention it in case it's an indicator of something untoward: I've just noticed that my post count has dropped by somewhere in the region of perhaps 700 to 800 posts since the upgrade (that's something of a guess to be honest -- I couldn't actually say what the actual figure was with any degree of certainty).

I'd probably not have noticed at all were it not for the fact that I remember passing 25,000 a few weeks back, and now I get the thrill of doing it again :D

James

Archived