Narrowband

My first proper view of the moon

Hi all, got my first proper view of the moon this evening, and wow , it looked superb through my 25 mm EP, but I can now understand why you guys invest in moon filters, I was temporarily blinded when I took my eye away from the EP. I manged to get a pretty decent snap from my phone camera, will try and upload it from my phone, just had a go but it wouldn't let me for some reason.

You don't always need filters, some cost more than eyepieces alone?

Sunglasses work well, as does thin cloud layers!

On my scope I often leave the dust cap on and remove  only the very small 2" cap ( if affects the specifications of my scope) but does not affect what I want to see, but the glare is sufficiently reduced. 

The blindness from the Moon is only temporary too, unlike looking at Sunlight which is damaging if not filtered?

........was just going to mention, its not in your gallery?

I have a couple in mine, using HTC Desire.

I have also found in my shed an xbox camera...looks like it can be converted to fit my focuser, and even though I have a non tracking Dobsonian, I would have thought that any video image can be broken down into stills, stacked and imaged to create a decent image......worth a try sometime in the future as a project. 

I've even strapped a Nikon onto the focuser, more testing required with the DSLR.

Keep at it

When the moon is full, my ND09 filter is a must, the moon is just too bright without it (and even with it). The difference is huge when compared to (roughly) half moon which I find comfortable to observe without any filters.

Archived