Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Powering Syncscan AZ

Hi,

I have a Syncscan AZ. Been using batteries to power it. Cold weather just killing them. I have at home a 12v ac adapter. The instruction booklet is asking for a 11-15 DC power supply. Will my adapter be suitable? Scared of plugging it in in case it goes bang!!

Thanks

Jim

It has to be compatible with your scope mount. By that I mean it has to:

a) be the correct pin designation i.e. centre positive OR centre negative.

b)the plug has to be the same physical size i.e. 2.1mm or 2.5mm for the centre pin diameter.

c) the outer size of the plug must also be correct i.e. 5mm, 5.5mm  etc,.

d) the voltage of your supply should also be within the boundaries you mentioned  11-15 volts dc.

e) lastly the supply should be capable of supplying the correct voltage at the correct current whilst operating the mount. ( some supplies cannot do so under load).

The power and voltage capabilities  should be stated on the power supply. It should also tell you whether it is centre negative or centre positive, by a small diagram.

Your mount instructions should tell you what the power requirements are.

Derek

My preferred solution is to get the correct cable with a male cig lighter adapter on the end, and a dedicated 12V PSU that has the female cig socket on it. That way if you decide you want to mobile and use a power bank (DIY or purchased) you already have the cable.

See if the pin fits the mount whilst the plug is not plugged into the mains then you will know if it fits or not.

you say the output from your plug is 12v and that the mounts wants 11-15v so that will be fine.

then you need to check polarity is corrcet; if you have a multimeter check the existing battery-powered lead, and then check the new mains-powered lead, if they are the same polarity, as in the tip is positive on both, then just donit! You'll be amazed at the difference running off mains, nice speedy motors and the ability to go all night.

Always be careful of using mains and leads outside in the damp and dark.

james

Hi, I power mine with an adaptor from Maplins, it has various power tips and  6 voltage settings from 5 to 13.2 Dc. Rhe name on the box is " Switched Mode AC DC Adaptor for General Use". It is £14.99 at the minute Code no. is L06BR, hope this helps.

Archived