Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

leo82

Black country and surrounding areas social group.

I use a great site in Shropshire, we watched the Perseids there the week before last. There's some pictures of the site on my bog in my sig. £6 a night, and a nice dark sky. Electric hook-ups too, if needed.

• Like 1

Andyb90    203

I just had a quick look at a location in Shropshire for Saturday evening. Clear outside and BBC weather look okay, but Meteoblue is saying 100% low cloud cover. So I'm a bit unsure.

Capture_co.JPG.9b5fd3f3b5e2738276e9bd59cfaf24aa.JPG

Capture_bbc.JPG.f0978f30c296bbe381b2ab4f31d268ef.JPG

Capture_mb.JPG.94228e86650c313eefeff27228a5ed41.JPG

Andy.

• Like 1

Stub Mandrel    5,625

I've put another note up on the forum because I don't think this thread gets much traffic and folk from across the west mids might be interested.

steve_bham    65
Posted (edited)

I've just joined Shropshire Astro society as they appear to have some good observing sites.

be good to get this group going again

Edited by steve_bham
  • Like 1

Beulah    2,648
Posted (edited)

The SAS are an epic bunch of people. Their outreach sessions at Attingham Park are amazing; such an enthusiastic bunch of people.

Good luck with your Salopian adventures - from my recent 20 years of existence in said county, the further towards the Marches is better as most of the street lit communities are part-night to save spondoolies.

Fabulously dark, too....even where I lived before (a dozen or so miles from the Welsh border) with the West Midlands conurbations' light domes. If I was shielded by a hill or house, the Zenith and right down to the Western horizon is pretty dark...excellent structure in the Milky Way, M13 and M33 visible with the MK1 eyeballs.

Good luck with getting a group together and I hope you enjoy the SAS sessions...

Edited by Beulah
  • Like 1

Stub Mandrel    5,625

Is anyone up for tonight? Forecast looks like it could go either way but improving after midnight, better in Staffs than Shropshire at the moment...

steve_bham    65
3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Is anyone up for tonight? Forecast looks like it could go either way but improving after midnight, better in Staffs than Shropshire at the moment...

Clear skies at the minute up in fife fingers crossed it stays that way! Where u looking to go?

• Like 1

Andyb90    203

Just did another check for same location in Shropshire. It's a little bit more of a gamble but is nice and dark.

PicsArt_1503760130564.jpg.788849f74d5e5145b9176bd535b26b9d.jpg

PicsArt_1503760099272.jpg.b30ced14f4581ca9b9816511fd41adad.jpg

PicsArt_1503760054807.jpg.70bd4a87038a8accf379090855d21ccd.jpg

Andy

Andyb90    203
4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I can do tonight. I think it's worth a gamble on Shropshire. Can PM a possible location

Andy.

• Like 1

Stub Mandrel    5,625
1 hour ago, steve_bham said:

Clear skies at the minute up in fife fingers crossed it stays that way! Where u looking to go?

Hello Steve,

Drop Andy a PM (hover over his user name and click message) .

Andyb90    203

Unfortunately I can't do tonight as I'm on babysitting duty.

Andy.

steve_bham    65

No problem, will try for the next weekend that's clear 😊 I'll drop a post on here 

Stub Mandrel    5,625

This saturday looks so bad I had assumed you meant saturday 23 anyway!

DOH!