I noticed a LOT of UK folks.. is this forum mainly for Europe?

Compubyte

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems an appropriate topic to say Hi in. I'm a Brit but resident in Green Bank West Virginia.

I'm just getting back into AP after a 15 year hiatus. A little background: before moving to the US in 2002 I was a tech at the University of London Observatory in Mill Hill, London.  While working there I saw the initial transition from photographic plates to CCD imaging so I have a little knowledge of digital imaging. I'm now working at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (computer geek, not a scientist).

I recently bought myself a sony alpha 3000 camera as it was remaindered at wally world and took a few exposures of the night sky with it and was astounded at what it could do, hence the rebirth of interest. I'm going to sit back and do a bit of reading in this forum as it seems there is much to (re) learn.

On 21/01/2016 at 22:07, saac said:

I have even heard rumours of bright shiny things residing there in the night! :happy6:

ITS A MYTH!  DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE. 

Next you'll be telling me people have landed on an object outside of our atmosphere!

11 hours ago, Chris6502 said:

This seems an appropriate topic to say Hi in. I'm a Brit but resident in Green Bank West Virginia.

I'm just getting back into AP after a 15 year hiatus. A little background: before moving to the US in 2002 I was a tech at the University of London Observatory in Mill Hill, London.  While working there I saw the initial transition from photographic plates to CCD imaging so I have a little knowledge of digital imaging. I'm now working at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (computer geek, not a scientist).

I recently bought myself a sony alpha 3000 camera as it was remaindered at wally world and took a few exposures of the night sky with it and was astounded at what it could do, hence the rebirth of interest. I'm going to sit back and do a bit of reading in this forum as it seems there is much to (re) learn.

Hi Chris

Sounds like my experience. I lost my mojo back in the late '80s when I became frustrated at trying AP. The home-built 8" newt I had couldn't take a RA drive, and we were still in the days of film with its toe (Where all the exposures were), and my "sketching" abilities were non-existent. The light pollution was contributing to my "what's the point?" attitude as well, which is ironic as my skies then were a sight better than they are now, on a good night the Milky Way was faintly visible, form Acton in West London yet!

Then I took a 15 sec "snap" with my 5D and a 50mm lens, f/2 and ISO 1600.

That's all it took, my jaw dropped and I was done for. Found this forum, and the rest is history, and a rapidly depleting bank balance!

Archived