Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Short tube 80mm refractor

nmoore6

I see no replies so I'll add a little one.

Because of the telescope design it will show chromatic aberration around bright objects on your images.

Some of it can be post processed out but not 100% successfully.

If you go in with your eyes open and it is what is in your budget that might work for you.

At a later date if you upgraded your imaging kit it could become a guide scope.

There are images taken through this refractor which is the same as the ST80 which will come up in search on here a lot more.

Hi.

My first scope was a Orion Short Tube 80.

I bought it as it was going to be my guide scope down the line, and wanted to get a less expensive start.

I have two images taken with it that i have stored, and it is M42 (Orion neb) and M45 (Pleiades)

The first M42 i was having trouble with odd star shapes, as the ST80 has a lot of field curveation. I did the "mod" for pinched optics, and it was not as bad on M45.

I have moved on to the SkyWatcher Equinox 80, but had great fun with the ST80.

Both images is auto guided with the Orion SSAG and Orion 9x50 finder.

The mount is Celestron AVX

Orion neb is ~1h40min and Pleiades is ~2h exposure,

The Orion neb is stacked with 2x drizzle in DSS, so in sense cropped.

post-42115-0-19768500-1453404012_thumb.p

post-42115-0-42453100-1453404115_thumb.p

If you check out this thread, you can see all the issues i had with it, and my attempts to fix it. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/236667-first-light-m42/

Thanks for the info. Having not attempted DSO imaging yet, if i can come up with shots like those I will be overjoyed, those are awesome! From a price point perspective, the Orion seems to be significantly cheaper than the skywatcher, so as an entry short tube for imaging I'll probably go with that. I like the idea of having it as a guidescope down the line when I h ave better equipment as well.

Thanks for your help! :smiley:

Archived