Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Hi all, pretty sure I located comet catalina this evening between the ursas. Double checked the surrounding stars once I got there and they checked out, mainly the obvious HIP 65603 and 65613 pair. Only thing was the comet looked like a smudge and was meant to be brighter than the surrounding stars according to stellarium by a few mag but it wasn't. Does this make sense or was I looking at some DSO in that region by mistake? Is the comet brightness diffuse now due to tail/coma etc. Thanks

A small grey/greenish smudge with a slightly brighter core is what you can expect to see so it sounds like you found it.

it's faint tonight due to the moon but yes, the absolute magnitude of an object is a value for the whole extent combined which for an extended object means it's fainter than a point source like a star in reality.

A comet often looks like a smudge. It is not a point source like the surrounding stars. It's surface brightness is spread over a larger area, so it's apparent brightness will be lower than that of the stars. Looks to me as if you definitely caught Catalina. So well done.

Just been taking some pic's of it, if you start from Alioth and head toward Kochab about half way there you come to Thuban and Catalina is to the "right" of it, just a fuzzy blob in a 60 sec exposure using 300mm lens so not very prominent in the eyepiece, not much else around it, M101 and M51  a bit away now.

Practically touching the two stars you mention so must be it

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

yes, sorry I agree. It's in line with the two obvious stars in Draco in the finder so looks like you got it.

A small grey/greenish smudge with a slightly brighter core is what you can expect to see so it sounds like you found it.

Thats what it looked like through my 12" dobsonian last night. No obvious tail. It's dimmed a bit and it's barely visible with my 50mm finder scope now. The core / nucleus is quite condensed with this one and quite a bit brighter than the surrounding halo.

It's not easy now, just about got it in a 12" SCT the other night, quite poorly placed down amongst the LP and the moon didn't help!

Well done for getting it

Tried with the binos  over the weekend but couldn't see it. Too much light pollution from Torquay and I was too cold/tired to stay up til silly o'clock, so I don't think I'll see it live. That was good image from Stuart!

Imaged it last night with my old 135 m42 helios lens on the canon. Much as described above on each sub. I flicke between 1st and last sub and was nice seeinfg it move ☺