Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

searching for planets

Hello and welcome. You're in for a treat. At present and for about a month there are five planets visible in a line in the morning toward the eastern and southerly sky. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn and Jupiter. If you've downloaded a planetarium app like stelarium that's one of the best ways to locate them. The magazines Sky at Night or Astronomy Now will tell you precisely where to look too.

Welcome.

Jupiter is very easy to find late in the evening sky (from about 11:30 it gets to a good height), try your 10mm on that (I wouldn't bother barlowing your 10 on Jupiter. You should be able to see some moons and the bands.

All the others are early morning planets. Venus is on it's way behind the sun. Mars will be better placed in may, as will Saturn - you can try the Barlow with these 2. Mercury is a tricky little beast, I've never seen it through a scope, it doesn't get very high.

Look in the same direction as the sun and moon rise, the planets raise from the same location.

Have fun and good hunting - as above download stellarium to see when best to see them.

Welcome!

As others have said, Jupiter is the easiest to see at the moment, reaching a good height before midnight. I've been doing most of my planetary observing at around 5am at the moment, as there is more up (Jupiter is still good, and you can get a better view of Mars and Saturn, with a chance at Venus and Mercury also).

That said, this is not a great time for Mars - it's still pretty far away and will get better ove the next couple of months. By around April it should give much more satisfying views.

Archived