Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Viv

Help ! HEQ5 alignment

Hello,

Sorry to ask, but I'm running out of options

With new HEQ5 in garden.

I've Polar aligned ok, checked settings 10 times. But mount is way off on the 3 star alignment - like half a sky off........really don't know what I'm doing wrong.......

Thank you

• Like 1

Long w 1 27 24

Lat n 52 24

Time zone 0:00

Date 01/20/2016

Time 19:05

Daylight no

Have you entered the date correctly? You have to enter it in US format i.e MM/DD/YYYY.

The amount of time I have entered it in UK format :)

Vik

• Like 1

First check that you have the correct time (24 hr format), DST set to OFF, the date (mm/dd/yyyy) and coordinates. The coordinates for centre of Coventry are 001 31W, 52 24N so yours should be similar. Start with the mount at the correct home position ie counterweight bar point straight down and telescope pointing at the North Celestial Pole. Do a 1 star alignment and check that the telescope slews to somewhere near the alignment star. If the telescope is a long way off loosen the clutches on the mount and centre the alignment star by moving the telescope manually. Retighten the clutches and then send the telescope back to the "parked" position. When the telescope has stopped moving switch off and loosen the clutches again and manually move the telescope to the correct position. Retighten the clutches and switch back on and perform a normal star alignment.

Long w 1 27 24

Lat n 52 24

Time zone 0:00

Date 01/20/2016

Time 19:05

Daylight no

The coordinates should be 001 27W,  52 24N. Entering the numbers as you have them gives you 127 24W, 52 24N, about 126 degrees west of Coventry.

• Like 1

Ah - brilliant - thank you.

Just took them straight off maps

Now if I can only get alignment stars

Good evening, I've been doing much the same - playing with my new HEQ5 in the garden.  Polar aligned ok, with the polarscope and the PolarFinder app on my android phone.   Then tried 1 star alignment and started to struggle.  The alignment routine was getting the scope pointing in the right general area, but not within the view of my eyepiece.  I double checked that my location was set correctly (it was) and the time was correct (I wasn't - i'd got DST on)  Tried again, checked again, tried again.  In desperation I found this discussion, and read Peter's post where he suggested there was no problem  loosening the clutches and doing a quick manual alignment to improve things.  As soon as I'd done this I was able to get the suggested alignment stars in view, and press on with a 2 star alignment.  

I was testing my work by asking the handset to point the scope at the moon, given that's a target even I can find by myself!  Once I'd done the "clutches" thing it went straight to the moon. Woohoo a result :) :) :)

I had a good look at the Pleiades, just over the top of the house, and then tried the "Suggested Deep Sky Objects" from the handset.  I must admit I'd never heard of the M44 Beehive Cluster, but the mount found it straight away.  I was very impressed by that.  My night vision is pretty poor, and I could see nothing with the naked eye in the direction the scope was pointing, but it was a lovely open cluster to look at through the scope.

The challenge will be to repeat my success on another night, but for the moment I'm pretty chuffed with the new mount :)

• Like 2

Hello

That's good to read, felt so daft last night.

Still had big problems with alignment stars, I have no decent view from west to north east - house in the way

Sounds as though you've got a great start.

More great evenings to come & maybe a bit of arghhh moments

• Like 1

The other thing you could do is leave your lat and long settings as they are and take your scope to the correct location for those settings - it looks like a superb place for imaging from.......... :icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:

post-33941-0-22936800-1453382902_thumb.j

• Like 3

On 21/01/2016 at 13:28, Skipper Billy said:

The other thing you could do is leave your lat and long settings as they are and take your scope to the correct location for those settings - it looks like a superb place for imaging from.......... :icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:  :icon_biggrin:

post-33941-0-22936800-1453382902_thumb.j

LOL! That's what I call lateral (or should it be longitudinal?) thinking! :)

Ha ha ha - could live with that........ill let you book my ticket & accommodation ??