Celestron 130eq Astromaster

Ok all I have an opportunity to get a Celestron Astromaster 130eq from co-worker.  I have a Powerseeker 80eq already and am curious how much if any better would this be? Refractor vs Reflector. I know it is 50mm bigger aperture which is attractive but is that all there is to it.

Hello Jim,

Let's look at them both...

https://www.astronomics.com/images/Product/large/9623.jpg

http://stargazerslounge.com/uploads/monthly_04_2011/post-20677-13387756682.jpg

The refractor looks to be mounted on an EQ-1 mount; whilst the reflector is mounted on an EQ2-type, and a bit larger and more robust.  You could conceivably place the refractor on it, too, and for improved stability.

The 80mm refractor is unobstructed.  In other words, you'd get a full 80mm of light-gathering aperture.  A 130mm reflector, with its secondary obstruction, would simulate an unobstructed 90mm refractor, perhaps a little more, depending.  Also, with the reflector, you would not encounter any false colour on brighter objects whatsoever.  Proper collimation of the reflector would be required, and for best image quality.

I acquired an Astromaster 130eq from a co-worker too as my first scope, until I decided I wanted to follow the path of astrophotography.

I found it to be a good little scope, and if you can get it cheap it is definitely worthwhile.

I've not used mine much since I got the AP rig, but in the future I'm tempted to build a dobsonian mount around the 130 OTA so I can keep looking at the sky while the camera rattles away.

You'll gather more light in the larger aperture which allows you to peer deeper into space. The longer focal length will focus further - but won't necessarily focus more sharply on near objects like planets - a well corrected lens is usually better for that so it's a bit of a trade off between mirror and glass. However - the difference is less relevant in entry level scopes.

The higher f-ratio scope (f-11) will be more tolerant of lesser quality eyepieces. And yes - an eq2 should be a bit sturdier than an eq1 though entry level mounts are all a bit wobbly at the best of times. The Astromaster has a naff finder so you may want to change it eventually. Hth :)

Archived