Narrowband

Show me your M42 please!

CraigT82

On 20/01/2016 at 13:36, swamp thing said:

I understand your thoughts Cal but to be fair to the OP he did ask for images that represent what can be SEEN through the eyepiece.

I would ask anyone posting images to be aware of this please...... :)

Thanks all. 

12 hours ago, HowardHopkinson said:

The image below was taken using 20x30sec subs and 20x30 sec darks all at ISO 800, stacked in DSS and processed in PS. The image was taken from my light polluted location with an almost full moon as well.

tcBHvKJ0TCT8iBqivfJt75gzftF6xn-C6FHSu0-9

Think you may have skipped a few important comments here Howard,  but lovely picture all the same!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Managed a couple of hours with the scope after work, out in Hemel Hempstead where the sky is a fair bit darker but still not great.

I didn't notice much more lateral extent to the nebulosity but I could definitely make out structure within it which I can't see at home. I could also make out some faint nebulosity of M43 which I've never seen before! 

Pic taken with iPhone through BST 25mm, 8"newt, no filter, approx bortle 7.

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

watched m42 last night on my scope, used es 24mm. observing conditions were rural suburban sky and moon in the first quarter...so several awful halogen lapms nearby and the darned moon illuminating most of the sky and reflecting off some of the high clouds. so not really the best conditions. anyway, tried filterless es 24mm, and attaching castell moon&skyglow and uhc castell filter. no comparison, really. alghough uhc castell (and i understand it is a very soft uhc filter) tinged everything, including the trapesium, in green tint, it really brought out details in nebula, even under such mediocre conditions. uhc all the way from now on when it comes to nebulas.

moon and skyglow was good in taming moon and jupiter, though.

I was somewhat puzzled that Olly reports he can't see colors at all in M42 with a 20 inch scope when I can see very obvious green-blue tint and even some extremely subtle red even with my 7 inch Mak under relatively dark but less than perfect skies (SQM about 20.80), wheter I'm dark adapted or not. But I guess it's an age thing as you say? I'm 33.

Great image btw :)

Regarding visual colors I think this is pretty accurate (NOT my image, you can see the original here, which I photoshopped until it matched what I recall from my visual observations) compared to what I see with my 7 inch Mak-Cass from a fairly dark site at 2-2.5 mm exit pupil (no filters). Hope you can see the subtle reddish tint under the "wings" of the nebula. It can be seen on my laptop screen.

M42.png

Weird thing: my 10 inch dobsonian shows the greenish parts with more detail and structure, and noticeably brighter at the same magnification (bigger exit pupil) but so far I've been unable to detect any red with it.

I realise this is an older thread but it's interesting to see how other observers see M42 from their location. I'm not sure how to rate my light polluted coastal suburban skies, but this is how I see Orion's nebular in an 8" SCT.

56c9dea56da8d_M42WYSIWYG(Custom).jpg.882

As others have mentioned and shown in their drawings the 4 brightest stars in the central part of the neb are 4 pinpoints of light and can just see the gap between them. If you're lucky you'll see a dimmer 5th star much closer to one of the 4 brightest which I've seen on a few occasions. I do see a very light blue colour to parts of the neb and one of the wings does stand out and show much more compared to the other side. Can also see some fuzz to the Running Man next to it. The brightest part of the neb shown in my photo is less as bright when viewing.

Even in my older smaller magnification 80mm frac it's quite a nice sight, just smaller and only a little less nebulosity but with my smallest cheapest 50mm frac it's very hard to separate those 4 main stars in the center and you start to notice the nebulosity loss.

Hope this helps.

On 17/2/2016 at 14:49, Thonolan said:

I was somewhat puzzled that Olly reports he can't see colors at all in M42 with a 20 inch scope when I can see very obvious green-blue tint and even some extremely subtle red even with my 7 inch Mak under relatively dark but less than perfect skies (SQM about 20.80), wheter I'm dark adapted or not. But I guess it's an age thing as you say? I'm 33.

Great image btw :)

I guess it's a matter of eyesight. Mine's not good at all, though I don't recall anyone saying they saw much M42 colour. I'll make a point of asking guests in the future.

Olly

Hi everyone

Well I haven't even seen M42 this year but I'm definitely going to head out with the scope over the next couple weeks so will make sure I take a peak

My sketch of M42 is from a couple years ago from my old 16" under pretty good skies. I didn't use a filter although I did try both UHC and OIII but preferred the view filterless.

M42.jpg

On 2016-01-22 at 11:53, ollypenrice said:

This is very difficult to do, but I've tried, here, to process an image approximating to what I see from my very dark site in a 2O inch F4.1 Newtonian. This would be on a night with an SQM reading of 21.6 to 21.9 or close to mag 7 for those with excellent eyes. In reality the image probably exaggerates, slightly, the structure that can be seen in the nebulosity but the stars are considerably crisper at the eyepiece than can be managed in photography. The view at the EP is more ethereal and in some places the contrast is higher while in others it is lower. But it gives an idea.

The truth is that a 4 inch scope at a dark site will trounce a 20 inch one in medium light pollution. Nothing, but nothing, beats a dark, clear site.

Olly

post-2393-0-39672000-1453485151_thumb.jp

Ok Olly, I need a bigger scope! :grin:

I see those features but the structure under wings is much less, it shows some variations but not to this degree.The extent of the nebulosity is the same however.

Hey! thanks for showing the "hook in the wing" ! (lower left). I remember we had a nice thread going a couple of years ago about this... M43 shows a "dust lane" or "band" across it surrounded by the bright grey body of M43.

I'm thinking a 24 incher, hmmm :grin:

Archived