Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

remotely control your laptop/PC and scope/camera etc from an android tablet

alcol620

Hi folks

Just stumbled on a piece of software that enables me to remotely control a laptop that is controlling my scope, camera, filter wheel and focuser. I am now able to have my laptop, situated in a cold conservatory, controlled by an Android tablet anywhere in the house where wifi is available. 

The Android has the laptop screen on it and all the imaging functions that the laptop controls can now be controlled from the Android tablet.

The software is Splashtop.com and is free and is downloaded to the laptop and the tablet. All very easy to do, even for me.

Super find. I am sure that there are many other programs doing the same thing but this is very simple to use.

Alec

• 3 years later...

My setup is:

Laptop connected to  Celestron CG5 GT mount via RS323 COM adaptor (goes to the Nexstar+ hand controller). The laptop has  PHD2,  Astrophotography Tool (https://astrobackyard.com/astro-photography-tool/) (this allows me to connect a DSLR, control the camera settings, view images, etc) and Carte du Ciel. The mount is ASCOM compliant so I have that installed which connects everything up. 

Microsoft Remote Desktop app on my tablet. This connects via my home wifi intranet to the laptop

So, my choices are to sit outside (shed observatory) with the laptop , controlling everything or sitting indoors with the tablet, checking what is going on. The optimum for me at the moment is to get everything connected and tracking via the laptop directly, then just monitor via the tablet.

Archived