Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

stevend

5 Planets all in a line - Wednesday 20th January

Just noticed this on Stellarium. At c0700 UT on Wednesday morning Mercury, Venus, Saturn, Mars and Jupiter will all be in a pre-dawn line across the SE to SW skies.

Tough from the UK as you need a very good line of sight of the SE/S to see Mercury.

• Like 2

Clear sky forecast here tomorrow morning... I'll be setting my alarm! Whether I can drag myself out of bed is another matter!

Had a look this morning but Mercury was absent as I think it is too low for me, it's quite a stretch from one end to the other though.

I got up for a look but it was foggy :angry7:  I did manage to see Jupiter, Mars and Saturn through it but Venus was lost in cloud / fog and stood no hope of seeing Mercury.

Yes saw them all clear as day, all beautifully lined up!

On Sky Safari.......

Completely clouded out, nothing changed Humph!

• Like 1

Yes saw them all clear as day, all beautifully lined up!

On Sky Safari.......

Completely clouded out, nothing changed Humph!

all bar mercury, will try again in the morning.

andrew

Fingers crossed for Saturday morning as Mercury will be a little higher in the sky. I may even go for a pre-dawn MTB ride to find high ground and enjoy the view.

I braved the extreme cold and could see all of them though Mercury only from the balcony. Jupiter was almost overhead and I imagine you would get a better in line view from the UK as it would have been lower.

On 1/21/2016 at 09:27, stevend said:

Fingers crossed for Saturday morning as Mercury will be a little higher in the sky. I may even go for a pre-dawn MTB ride to find high ground and enjoy the view.

Currently, it looks as though the Weather Gods won't oblige on Saturday, but Thurs am should be clear, here in Oxford anyway.....

Chris

Unfortunately, although the sky was clear this am, 4 out of 5 were superb, but Mercury was hiding in a line of clouds along the horizon..... First view of Cassini this apparition though.

Chris

This is a nice view from Denver this morning courtesy of a notification from Sky Safari. Titled 6 Planets but Pluto, next to Venus, is too small to show. There was no chance of seeing them for real, again!

image.png

• Like 1