SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from King's Lynn

KerryThomas81

So, I have found myself on here as I am looking to take my newly found interest in Astronomy a bit further than just an interest. I wish to make this a hobby. I am currently researching telescopes, and have fried my brain with the variety available, and which is better, a reflector, a refractor etc... So, I am here to hopefully chat to people who can help me on my quest, and share their knowledge. How you started out, what your first telescope was? 

I am interested in viewing the moon, and planets and of course would like a telescope that will give me a nice crisp clear image,and that will enable me also to view stars, but for my first I do not want to spend over £250 ideally. So if anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

I am based in King's Lynn, Norfolk so it would be lovely to get chatting to others from this area too.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who wishes to share their knowledge. :icon_biggrin:

For the biggest "bang for your buck" a Dobsonian is hard to beat:  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html  (and, yes, I have gone over budget!).  You will get good views of the Moon and planets with it and it is easy to use, store and (if you need to) transport.

Norfolk has some good dark skies.  Welcome to SGL!!

Hi Kerry, you are lucky to have some dark skies around norfolk, my first scope was a Tasco 60mm refractor I got it when I was around 8yrs old lol but gave me great views of the moon jupiter and saturn for such a small scope, I still have it to this day!! A good pair of binoculars is a must as this will help you become familiar with the sky and as they are light and simple you will find yourself gliding round the skies with ease whenever you feel like a quick observing session, patrick moore wrote an article on binocular astronomy which I found really good and filled with lots of things you can find with a simple pair of binos. i'm sure you could find it or references to it on google, I have a pair of 10x50 binoculars but I wish they were a bit bigger. I now have a dobsonian telescope which is a type of reflector. I think for your money a reflector will give you a better experience then a refractor as aperature is king but that's just my opinion, get as much advice as you can and maybe head along to a local star party and ask a few people if they wouldn't mind you taking a look through their scopes.

Good luck

Gary 

Hi Kerry, welcome to SGL.

I am based in West Winch and a member of Kings Lynn District Astronimical Society, http://www.westnorfolkastro.co.uk/ and we meet a couple of times a month at Tottington.

Please come along as we do have equipment and observing evenings so that new beginners can see and be helped with the choices of equipment available.

Archived