Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Norfolk star gazer

Imaging - Complete Novice Question

I have had my 10" skywatcher (dob mount) since April last year and I know that a dob mount is not ideal for imaging, but would like to do some. I assume that I can't do all the fancy stuff that people post on here, but was wondering how easy it would be to say just connect a DSLR to the scope and take a few quick shots of say Orion Nebula or some galaxies?

I assume that I would need to take the lens off the camera and connect it with some sort of ring, but what would I need?

Also, (and probably a really stupid question) if the camera is attached to the viewfinder, then how do I magnify the image as there is no room for EPs?

Edited by Norfolk star gazer

You would have to takes lots of short exposures to capture sufficient photons to get a decent image. Lunar imaging should be possible but DSOs might be tricky without an equatorial platform. Imaging through a camera body body directly connected to a telescope focuser is called prime focus imaging and is the normal method used by imagers. There is no real magnification when imaging, the term is called image scale or arc sec/pixel ratio. To get a closer image you increase the focal length of the telescope by using a barlow lens or reduce the scale by means of a focal reducer.

The 10" Skyliner is equipped with a 2" focuser that has a t thread within the focuser adapter. Screw the t ring onto that and then attach the camera. See video.

• Like 2

Thanks. very helpful comments and the video made it clearer. Will have to search for some others.

I assume that once it's all connected and I have the object in sight (say Orion Nebula) that I can't just take a quick photo and expect it to come out like taking a normal photo and that it would need processing (ie on a computer etc) as you menetioned lots of short exposures.

Edited by Norfolk star gazer

Thanks. very helpful comments and the video made it clearer. Will have to search for some others.

I assume that once it's all connected and I have the object in sight (say Orion Nebula) that I can't just take a quick photo and expect it to come out like taking a normal photo and that it would need processing (ie on a computer etc) as you menetioned lots of short exposures.

Imagers normall;y take several photos and then use a programme called Deep Sky Stacker to combine the images together. http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html . The stacked images can then be further processed in PhotoShop.