SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astronomy / Space Museums In The Uk

asset189

Watching stargazing live from JodrelBank got me wondering about places to go visit that have an astronomy or space interest. Ive got the Galloway dark sky park on my door step so not really looking for a viewing location, more a museum or historical interest. There is a clan Armstrong museum nearby at Langholm but verry little else locally. Looking for so ideas in,south Scotland & noth of England please.

Apologies in advance as this isn't in your neck of the woods...

If you are ever down my way, this place is well worth visiting.

http://spaceguardcentre.com/

It's basically a working observatory that monitors NEOs but has a fine collection of meteorites, a 24 inch Schmidt telescope camera, a planetarium and a fantastic talk to boot. It's a pretty small place but well worth the visit.

We have started a list of astronomy related places to visit in the "History of Astronomy" section of the forum:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/260026-history-of-astronomy-places-to-visit/

It's a new section through so there may not be anything in the area you are interested in as yet - if you come across somewhere, please feel free to add it to the above thead :icon_biggrin:

We have started a list of astronomy related places to visit in the "History of Astronomy" section of the forum:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/260026-history-of-astronomy-places-to-visit/

It's a new section through so there may not be anything in the area you are interested in as yet - if you come across somewhere, please feel free to add it to the above thead :icon_biggrin:

Excellent thread, John!

If you ever come a bit further south then there is the national space centre in Leicester. It is mostly aimed at school age children but there was plenty to keep my limited knowledge interested and there are some fascinating displays on the moon landings and astronauts. My 3 and 5 year old children loved it, especially after watching Tim in space over the last week!

Michael

I found this list of planetariums in the UK, not all of these will open to the public but most will.

You guys in the UK dont know how lucky you have it for places to visit and star parties and astrofests. Here on the island of Ireland we have the Armagh planetarium or the Leviathan scope in Offaly. Ive never been to either.

Astro clubs are far and few between also. Not to mention there is only one astro retail store in the whole country and they are a Celestron dealership. 

You guys in the UK dont know how lucky you have it for places to visit and star parties and astrofests. Here on the island of Ireland we have the Armagh planetarium or the Leviathan scope in Offaly. Ive never been to either.

Astro clubs are far and few between also. Not to mention there is only one astro retail store in the whole country and they are a Celestron dealership. 

Ah yes...but I bet you have more darker sky sites than we do on  mainland Britain.

Uhmmm, maybe a case of "the grass is always greener". Ireland may not have the dealers but it has fantastic dark sites. More population and more light pollution, less population etc,.

To the original poster you are really lucky to live in that area. You can always try the Galloway Star Camp to meet others with our particular affliction :laughing4:

Derek

Archived