Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

jetstream

What A Night

From lunar early on to DSO later, a great evening to observe with a nice cold front paving the way. Tonight was my best M51 so far, distinct spirals, no trying to tease them out and the two galaxies showed connected by a faint glow. There was a bright "knot" showing in M51, I don't recall seeing this before, not exactly sure what it is yet.

The list observed includes:

Markarians Chain

Leo Triplet

M51

M101

M81,M82 & surrounding fuzzies

A "5 banger" of galaxies in the bottom of the UMA bowl-in the same FOV...and many more in and around UMA...

Needle galaxy- very distinct lane cutting the galaxy core

and about 30 galaxies in Virgo when sky cruising before packing up, what a show.

I surveyed the area where the Cone nebula should be... this one ain't going to be easy IMHO, but I picked up a nice small compact nebula off to the side a ways. Some faint nebulosity showed off 15 Mon, but this wasn't bright itself. Got to keep plugging away at this.

All in all a great night with about 4 hours of observing in, I'm sure glad my weather forecast was wrong!

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 10

Nice report. Worth braving the cold for!

Regarding the surrounding fuzzies near M81 & 82, I was looking in that area a couple of nights ago and am sure that I saw a fuzzy very similar to 82, but it was just above Dubhe. I moved the scope up and found 82 and then went back down to the other fuzzy.

I am aware that there are a couple of fuzzies below Dubhe but can find one above Any ideas?

• Like 1

That's what I'm talking 'bout, brother. Nights like that are the stuff dreams are made of  :hello2:

Clear skies,

Reggie

• Like 1

Nice one Gerry.

That Cone is one tough object isn't it. It requires excellent transparency. 

Keep at it mate you'll get it. 

• Like 1

Superb report Gerry :icon_biggrin:

Some mouthwatering prospects there for when our skies clear. I tend to think of Leo as having 2 "triplets", the M66 group at the "back end" and the M95/96/105 group under the lions belly.

I saw Markarian's Chain at the SGL star party last year - I think I had 10+ galaxies in the same FoV at one point - views like that are why we do this stuff :grin:

• Like 1

good nights are needed to stave off the madness of all the cloudy one's...this sounds like one of those nights!...keep 'em coming Gerry!

• Like 1

Nice report. Worth braving the cold for!

Regarding the surrounding fuzzies near M81 & 82, I was looking in that area a couple of nights ago and am sure that I saw a fuzzy very similar to 82, but it was just above Dubhe. I moved the scope up and found 82 and then went back down to the other fuzzy.

I am aware that there are a couple of fuzzies below Dubhe but can find one above Any ideas?

The one that comes to mind is NGC 3359, roughy 2.4 deg up from Dubhe, way above both M81/M82 is NGC 2403... there are just so many. I use Marks website and charts to help, Simbad that Acey provided and the NGC/IC data base - congrats for some fine observing!

http://bristolweather.org.uk/galaxies/find.php?obj=NGC%203359

http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-id?Ident=ngc3359&NbIdent=1&Radius=2&Radius.unit=arcmin&submit=submit+id

http://www.ngcicproject.org/ngcicdb.asp

Edited by jetstream

Looks like you may have come across Hubble's Variable Nebula near the Cone Nebula.

Thanks, I'll check it out, it was very distinct with no filter and the UHC provided the best filtered views. For some reason I never explored this exact area even though I observe the Rosette frequently- it catch's me and holds me there lol!

Nice one Gerry.

That Cone is one tough object isn't it. It requires excellent transparency. 

Keep at it mate you'll get it. 

Thanks for the encouragement Steve, last nights transparency went from poor, great seeing though- to average as it cleared up. What a difference the transparency makes, unbelievable on DSO.

Yes, the Cone... the moon is making things difficult for this as by the time it set, 15 Mon was already getting lower in the sky- I must take advantage of every degree of elevation in order to have a chance on it.