Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ioptron Skytracker First Use Review

I just received my iOptron Skytracker in the mail two days ago and tonight was the first night it was clear to give it a go despite the -25* F temperatures. 

Setup was nice and easy. Batteries were installed with no hickups and the mount was solid. I have a Manfrotto Tripod (190go model) and I was shooting with a Canon 7D with a battery pack. The mount didn't complain one bit. I got Polaris correctly placed in the viewfinder, fired a test shot to make sure I was at least mostly focused. I was enough for a quick test. I pointed it in the general direction of M31 and fired away. I stacked 29, 13 second exposures. 28mm and let it sit as I went inside to warm up. The image was processed using nebulosity (mostly to familiarize myself with the program) and then edited in photoshop trying to get M31 to pop a bit, even though it was only shot at 28mm. Tracking was spotless. Obviously my focus was off, but it was just a test to see how well it tracked. Every picture was IDENTICAL. No trailing at all. Only smudging from not being focused completely. Hopefully we'll warm up a bit more and get to actually put it through an actual test with proper focus. The image attached is the test image. Nothing special, but I'm happy with the mount, the camera, and the tripod. Well worth almost losing a few fingers... ;) Clear skies!

post-31252-0-34541300-1453002054_thumb.j

Archived