Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Entering A Minus Value On Synscan

Hi all,

This is my first post on here and need some help. I have a skywatcher skymax 127 synscan az goto scope but have trouble with entering the GPS coordinates. Mine are 57.66 and -4.34 the problem is the minus value I'm not sure how to enter this on the keypad. Any help would be great.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hi, another beginner here. I was trying to do exactly the same as the initial question regarding the minus value. I now understand that the minus value equates to West, thanks for that. What I don't quite understand is how 57.66 N & 4.34 W finishes up as being 

On 16/01/2016 at 19:59, Staffs Oatcake said:

57 degrees 39 minutes 36 seconds north

On 16/01/2016 at 19:59, Staffs Oatcake said:

4 degrees. 20 minutes and 24 seconds West

Sorry, still learning. 

There are 60 arc minutes in a degree (and 60 arc seconds in an arc minute) so...

57.66 N = 57 degrees, 0.66*60 minutes = 40 minutes
 4.34 W =  4 degrees, 0.34*60 minutes = 20 minutes

...forgetting the fractional minutes (which could be converted to seconds in the same way.)

• 3 years later...

Hi I have a skywatcher skymax 127 synscan az goto scope and am having difficulty entering coordinates which are  Lat: 55.23,1720  Long: -1.566570 attached is a pic of what I have entered, is it correct please?

synscan.jpg

For anyone else reading this needing for location input help.

If you find your location on googlemaps and right-click on it your long/lat co-ordinates will be shown, copy those and paste it back in the google maps search location box and it will show you the long/lat co-ordinates in both formats.  And for those who don't read manuals you swithc between W & E using the scroll up/down keys next to the numbers.

• Like 1