SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bino Viewers

has any one had success on using bino viewers on reflector telescopes  and if so what was the outcome?

When you say 'reflector' are you including catadioptric scopes as well? Or just Newtonians as a whole? I've recently started using a William Optics binoviewer with my 4" Skymax.  

I attempted it and it unravelled the most frustrating sequence of events.  Trying to find out what I needed to purchase to achieve back focus was a nightmare, the potential cost spiralled and I re-sold the bino-viewers on at a loss.  I wish I had not put myself through it to be honest !  

The potential issues with balance and the length of the optical corrector adaptor (OCA) was ridiculous.  I hear the views are stunning but enter at your peril. 

I've used binoviewers on my Sct to look at the moon and planets, as well as gazed around a few star fields (the blinking galaxy was a memorable favourite). I've also seen the sun on a friend's solar scope with bv's. Utterly awesome views in all cases - it's like 3d and totally immersive - thoroughly recommended - even if you don't get your own, bv's make sure you try getting a peek through someone else's - it's an experience not to be missed. :)

I remember successfully using WO BV's with my old 200mm f/6 Dobsonian, but from memory it only worked when I added the supplied Barlow. 

I think success largely depends on the scope used, e.g. my BV's are an absolute joy on the Sun and Moon with my little Skylight 60mm f16 refractor, but I'm finding binoviewing impossible with my Startravel 120mm f/5 refractor, no matter what I try!

SCT's and Mak's are very good with BV's because of the amount of focus travel these scopes have. 

I guess one test since Christmas counts as a success so I can say my wo binos work fine with my 10" f6 newt (actually the view was stunning). But I designed the position the main mirror etc to have sufficient in focus to work with the binos. For me it was easy to change the balance point too (they're pretty heavy). Getting focus with my sw 100ed refractor was difficult and the ota may get chopped once I get the nerve to do it. With a stock newt I'd say moving the primary mirror up the ota would be the easiest fix for any problems.

Archived