SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher 200P And Eq5 Support Rings Resistance While Pivoting Tube

It's Skywatcher 200p understanding day!

I need some advice about the EQ5 support rings. I am having the hell of a hard time turning the tube into these rings at horizontal position has the picture bellow.

Even if the screws are 100% loose there is resistance there.. Is there a tip to help me roll this tube smoothly into these rings?

Even in warm weather condition I have difficulties, the tube is not perfectly round either... it's not helping.

I don't know what to do with that situation, I feel like fighting with my instrument outside.

0hVExtS.jpg?1
BlRhLDL.jpg?1

Hi N3ptune

I used to have a 200p on Eq5 but never had a problem rotating the scope in the rings, you say the tube is not perfectly round so perhaps that is where the problem is?

is it a recent purchase? did you buy from a dealer/shop as it could still be under warranty? if so you might want to get in touch with the supplier and see about a replacement if the tube is damaged.

probably not much help to you or the answer you where looking for I'm afraid,

hope you get it sorted

Regards

James

I have similar problems myself firstly I used a couple of embroidery hoops above each ring to keep the tube in the same position when rotating but even then to get the ep in certain position with the clamps loose it was still a case off both hands around the base to give it a hard twist to get it in the right position.I think maybe the rings had been over tightened at some time and slightly deformed the tube,maybe storing the tube with the rings tight could also cause this.Another thing in mine the ring lining is quite fine felt and that means a lot of surface contact especially when damp so Prehaps too much stiction somthing more course or bristled may work.

I did have the idea some time ago about proper tube rotaters but the price was beyond comprehension as it outweighed the cost of the scope and an eyepiece.I even thought about trying to instal lengths of round nylon to make into a type of bearing around the tube ring to see if that might work but haven't taken it any further.

You could try tightening the clamps in different positions trying to use the same tension and marking the position of the bolts and see at which position the bolts tighten up earlier then over tighten slightly and leave over night I did this with some success.

If anyone has any other options I too am all ears.Hope this helps of sorts

Jonn

I,ve replied to your other post but once you have balanced your scope with your mid weight ep in place then tighten the hoops up you will never have to balance your scope again(unless you put somthing stupid in it like a big nagler)

JemC

hemm the telescope is not that bad, it's not perfect but I don't think is possible to build a better instrument because of the way
it's was designed, it's an ingineering limitation to my advice. If I replace the tube, i might get one even worst. To keep the tube  round would
require structural rings on the inside (I think), this one is a rolled sheet of steel only.

Triton

I even thought about trying to instal lengths of round nylon to make into a type of bearing around the tube ring to see if that
might work but haven't taken it any further.

I had that idea too, or maybe replace the fabric on the hoops with another one, but it might crush the tube if i add to much tickness.. nylon
is a good idea..

You could try tightening the clamps in different positions trying to use the same tension and marking the position of the bolts and see
at which position the bolts tighten up earlier then over tighten slightly and leave over night I did this with some success.

I will do that, I already strarted practicing to find the perfect spot to save time. Usually my the tube can move at arount 6 half turn.. so
i count.

brantuk

Yééé an AstroBaby solution (: I will inform me of the content of this document tonight. Glad to see solutions for that problem (:

After a quick look, i don't understand the concept yet, I need to take time to read.

Triton
I,ve replied to your other post but once you have balanced your scope with your mid weight ep in place then tighten the hoops up you will
 never have to balance your scope again(unless you put somthing stupid in it like a big nagler
LOL that was funny)

My situation is otherwise. If i look at the zenith, i have to unbalance the telescope horizontaly to get the balance vertically
particularly when I watch North est zenith or South west those are hard spot to watch. Like Taurus at around 10:00 PM last weak, i did not even succed last time.

But ill continue on the other post about that.

There is nothing wrong with your scope. I am afraid that the downside of a Newtonian on an EQ mount is this issue. Most of us just put the tube in the rings with the eyepiece in the 'best' position, then tighten rings and forget. Then you might find the viewing in an awkward position at times, but that's life...remember that the positive side is that you have a decent aperture.

Telescopes with star diagonals work best with EQ mounts, as you just rotate the diagonal. But these scopes have their downsides too. No scope's perfect my friend.

I used to have a lot of aggro like the OP describes.  I found the problem was two fold.

1/ The scope is not perfectly round which can be a headache which cant be fixed really.  THose Russians with their TAL scoipes machined from a length of gun barrel probably never have this issue.

2/ The felt that Skywatcher use on the inside of the rings is not very nice, its not slippy (which under normal circumstances is a good thing) but worse its sometimes peels back under damp conditions and create a sticky pad for the scope to get stuck on.

My solution was the classic hoop round the scope as a retaining ring and then just loosen the main rings off...theres a link to my solution above.  Its actually very simple.  You put a third ring on which is only attached to the scope NOT the mount.  You keep this one tight all the time to the tube.  It rests on the forward most ring thats attached to the mount.  That way you can can slacken the rings that secure the scope to the mount without any fear of the scope slipping down through the rings and onto the ground.  I still use a little bit of tension on the mounting rings to stop the scope rotating of its own accord when heavy EPs are fitted.  You also need to use a good pinch of sense when manipulating a scope so that you don't inadvertently release so much tension that the rings open up and the scope just falls out.

I also refelted the main rings with a really nice bit of felt that was glued down with a product call 'Serious Glue' (yes really) and believe me when stuff is stuck with that it aint ever coming apart again - no more kinks in the felts on my tube rings for sure.

I did also try using a Heath Robinson ball race gimmick  between the securing ring and the main ring to reduce friction further and found it was just a pain, with the weight of the finder and an eyepiece the scope just slips round way too readily and the ball race gubbins kept getting jammed against the small gaps in the securing ring.

You don't have to have such an engineered solution, as already said some people use a tapestry hoop or do it with a giant jubilee clip and hosepipe.

(; thanks, Hello AstroBaby!

I didn't had the time to work on the hoops yet. The dishwasher broke I had to work on it yesterday and today.. but i went out tonight after the reassembly of the motor, back from there actually, and i have to go to sleep really soon, it was -15 outside I am exhausted.

(But it was fantastic with my new 5mm piece)

Relecture of here tomorrow

Good night.

Archived