Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Down Under

thing

I'm off to Oz in August and will be taking the 15x70's, plus my son has a small scope out there. Is there a good website with 'Things to see through bino's in the Southern Hemisphere' that anyone knows of?

I reckon if you start studying Stellarium (fast forward to August and set the place to where you are going) you'll be in good shape to find your way around. :D

I reckon if you start studying Stellarium (fast forward to August and set the place to where you are going) you'll be in good shape to find your way around. :D

Already been doing that, I was thinking more along the lines of 'With a pair of binos you really want to be looking at this' sort of thing.

I went to Oz last year (April) - the skies are wonderful. There are some pics on my website (link below) that you might find interesting. The Milky Way is wonderful in it's own right especially near the galaxy centre. Omega Centauri and Eta Carina are wonderful through binoculars.

Thanks Dave. I've been the last couple of years. Love the place and the people. My lad lives there (Brisbane) but he's just had a house built away from the city and he reckons the night sky from his back garden (well, garden as in a small county to us ....) is amazing now, which is why i'm taking the binos this year!

We have just got our permanent residency visa this month. We will be heading over to live and work in Brisbane once the house has sold. We went on a reccie about a year ago and loved it. Even in the suburbs of Brissie you could see the Milky Way spanning the sky in all its glory. The stars were like jewels. Great place, great people & can't wait to get there.

Good luck Tony, house prices are starting to soar in Bris so you will get there in time hopefully! My son bought his acreage in Spring Mountain a couple of years ago and moved into his house in Feb this year. It cost him about 370,000 dollars altogether but he's been offered half a miilion for it already. I love Oz, if it wasn't for kids/grandkids here in UK I would move there tomorrow. We go for 5 weeks every year but when we retire we're hoping to go out for 3 months each year. Might see you out there sometime!

Archived