Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Stupid Things We Do.....

Had a nice 3 HR session last night and got up at 6am to take a look at Jupiter and Mars.

Set the scope up and pointed towards Jupiter, but couldn't see much detail (which was surprising as very clear skies) tried various EPs, but no joy. Scope was fine last night, so couldn't see what the problem was, I removed the dew shield and realised my schoolboy error..........I had left the dust cap on

You think that bad. I am not exactly new to the hobby and just bought a 13mm Ethos which is not exactly cheap as chips. Was most unimpressed with it after I place it into the 2 inch focuser and tried focus on the Moon, then realised I had left the 1.25 inch cap on the eyepiece sleeve. The funny thing was it worked really rather well after I removed it.

Alan

We've all done similar things, what is interesting I wager this won't be the last time you do this. 

Until you've left the dust cap on the scope a couple of times or tried to insert an eyepiece with the bottom cap still on and similar dumb things you haven't been out observing enough.

We've all done similar things, what is interesting I wager this won't be the last time you do this. 

Until you've left the dust cap on the scope a couple of times or tried to insert an eyepiece with the bottom cap still on and similar dumb things you haven't been out observing enough.

I've done it twice :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: .  Alan

We all do it.

I left the scopes out airing after a dewy early hours session yesterday morning. Hoping for a couple of hours early evening before the clouds and rain arrived. Fell asleep while reading the children's bedtime stories. Woke up at 3am to find that the rain had arrived on schedule some hours previously......

Paul

I don't mind people having a laugh at me, I have thought of something else.

My Sumerian Dob has mirror adjustment handles upward facing near the edge of the mirror, it is made in a way where you only ever need to adjust the 2 for the main mirror and the secondry, nice idea that works well. The truss poles are attached  by similar but not the same long nuts with knulled handles. I had the laser in place and was turn away and wondering why nothing was happening then one of the truss poles came away from the mirror box :iamwithstupid: , could be worse.

For sheer frustration, try this !

One evening I was at the polarscope seeing nothing but what I assumed was light polluted sky with no sign of Polaris. I could see it by eye, I went back to the mount. Up and down with the dec back and forward with the alt bolts, thinking I must have offset it. After a seemingly long time ,I looked at the open end of the polarscope.

I'd left on a semi transparent cap !

Fool !

Nick.

Archived