SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

After A Bit Of Time Away....

Hi guys, been awhile but I've had a lot on the last six weeks or so, so haven't had much chance to get out and Star gaze. Gutted to be honest after waiting what seemed an eternity during the end of November/beginning of December for the cloud to shift.

Well, tonight has been the night for my first "proper" session! I thought I'd write a little report as I'm still overcome with excitement and awe.

At about 00:45, I wrapped up, grabbed the gear and set up out the front of my flat. Best place I have to be honest but gives a good view of East to South and I've only got the odd couple of street lights about.

First up I decided to have a look at Betelgeuse and Rigel as i thought they would be quite easy targets to start off with, I was amazed at the red and blue colours I saw through a 25mm and a 10mm.

I then decided to take the plunge, be brave and locate Orion's Belt, with the intention of seeing my first Messier(s) M42 and M43 as I waited for Jupiter to pop round the corner a bit more. I wasn't very confident at first but with a bit of patience, the odd cigarette and 'er indoors providing me with mugs of tea, I finally managed to see "that fuzzy patch" close up. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, absolutely amazing detail! Like I said I'd waiting an age for it and it still took me by surprise and the missus had to stop me jumping around like a kid at Christmas!

Anyway, onto another target I've been waiting to see... Jupiter. Managed to catch it once again with both the 25mm and 10mm, couldn't believe the colours! Orange, yellow and a sort of Reddish Brown, beautiful - couldn't quite see the bands as i really do need some better EP's. Three moons were in view, I could be wrong but I think Io and Europa were on one side and Callisto on the other. Ganymede is currently out of view I believe.

I came indoors (-2 outside) one very happy and excited chap to warm up and reflect on the unbelievable sights I'd seen. Mission accomplished and I can't wait for more!

Hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

Rob

Cheers JepJep! Hope it provided you with as much amazement as it did for me. Just had to edit the post as this tablets damn autocorrect is annoying!

Well, I only use a 20x50 binocs for now so I'm sure you are more amazed than me

Archived