Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saw the ISS tonight for the first time!

Well here we go again with one of my 'first time' topics :D

I looked on heavens above to see if the ISS would be passing over at a reasonable hour tonight and it was! 2240 it was set to appear, travelling straight through the plough. I went outside about 5 mins before and waited, and then all of a sudden, there it was. Much more impressive than I first thought. Makes me wonder why I've never seen it before to be honest :D

Anyway, if the skies are clear tomorrow, I'll probably go back out again and have a look :)

Im rather pleased with myself :D

Nice one Jim, that pass was bright last night. Have you tried following it with Bins ? I did last night and I'm sure that I could see hints of a much larger shape in shadow behind the reflection.

nah I didnt follow it with binos but I'm definately going to try it the next time I have a clear sky when it flies over. But it was really bright... it's making me wonder what it's like to see a mag -8 iridium flare :D

• 1 month later...

Just saw the ISS pass very very low in the southern skies last night. Back of 11 if I remember correctly. Good God, it was bright 8) Deffo brighter than Jupiter. I actually thought it was a Police helicopter in the distance, but I couldn't see any red landing/warning light thingies, which set the bells ringing. The only thing I had to hand was a monocular and as previously mentioned, you could tell it wasn't a point of light object.

I'm going to go to Heavens Above to see when it will be back over.

Rather chuffed. That's a first for me.

Andy.

Had a quick look with Starry Night and it looks to be a bit higher up and will be 'over' Jupiter at approx 11-30 pm this evening(Monday).

I think I'll have a go with my AT66 refractor and a wide field eyepice. My bincs will be on standby.

:sunny: so far so good.

Andy.

Archived