SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tonights Targets

DoctorD

Hi

Cold and clear hear in Bradford tonight - here's a selection all taken with my C8 using F3.3 reducer and Lodestar-C, all stacks of 30s exposures, info on image.

Eskimo Nebula:

Eskimo.Nebula 2016.1.15 21.03.21

M82:

M82 2016.1.15 21.54.50

M81:

M81 2016.1.15 22.06.02

And finally NGC3190 

NGC3190 2016.1.15 22.31.31

inspired me to try this - strong gradient from local light pollution spoils it somewhat, however this is the first time I've "seen" this interesting galaxy.
Clear skies
Paul

Hi

At the time of capture, Leo was due East, low over the top of my neihbours house and in the same direction as central Bradford which gives off a huge amount of light pollution/skyglow (no filters used this time).

I'll be back to Leo when these faint galaxies are higher in the sky.  :icon_biggrin:

It's good to have the C8 back on the mount - I've discovered that I can keep the HEQ5 fully loaded with the C8 in the garage and move it out onto my drive in one piece.

It took me less than 15 minutes to set up last night including polar alignment (I use marks on the floor to ensure the mount is in roughly the right position), star alignment and focus.

Then I was back inside in the warmth and comfort of my study with a cup of tea travelling through the night sky.

Last night was the first time I've used my Kendricks Dew Heater  - worked a treat.

Thanks for the comments.

Clear skies

Paul

Very nice captures Paul. Looking forward to seeing some more results from the colour Lodestar.

Like you I keep my scope/mount/camera ready set up in the garage and lift the whole thing on to the drive when I need to observe. I have used the cloudy nights to work on speeding up every aspect of my setup time so now it's pretty quick, though I don't think I can quite match your 15 minutes, and something usually trips me up (literally!). I recently found an old webcam and converted it so I can slip it over the eyepiece of the finder - using a long usb cable I can now align and calibrate the scope from indoors, the only time I have to stand at the scope is for polar aligning and focussing. Electronic focusser next. :)

Hi Reggie

Here's my Catalina from the 15-01-16 (single 30s capture) - I was disappointed I did not catch the tail - perhaps too large an small an image scale.

Catalina

Perhaps I'll try my wide filed set up (INED70 and x0.5 reducer) next time.

Clear skies

Paul

Hi Maurice

I usually use 30s exposure with StarlightLive - make dark frame calibration simpler.

These images are post processed in Nebulosity as I did not get a screen grab whilst viewing - I left the levels at  AUTO which may have caused the image to be dimmer than expected.

Here's a reprocessed one - probably more like what I captured real time.

Catalina

CS

Paul

Archived