Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help!

Hi I'm finding this very hard to understand I have a 70/900 refractor and a Canon 400d and want to take images of the Orion nebulae my camera reads f00 is this ok and do I use my eyepiece with in the t ring just av no clue what to and getting very confused thanks

Can you advise what mount you are using. Your scope at 900 focal length may be difficult to capture the orion nebula but not impossible. The camera will read F00 when not conected to a Canon camera lens staright in to the telescope, this is normal. Your eye piece has nothing to do with imaging. The T ring adapter connects to your camera and that slots straight in to the 1.25" opening of the telescope focuser. From there you you use the telescope as very big lens.

The telescope does not communicate with the camera, so the camera doesn't know its f-number.

You'll have to take the pictures in a manual mode (Tv on my Canon) that allows you to chance the shutter time by hand. Experiment a bit with shutter times to get an image that is properly exposed.

Short shutter times are needed. Try 1/125 seconds or thereabout. A cable release for the shutter may help to prevent movement. You can also use the self-timer set for 10 seconds.

All that is in the manual for the camera.

Good luck, we're looking forward to the results!

The telescope does not communicate with the camera, so the camera doesn't know its f-number.

You'll have to take the pictures in a manual mode (Tv on my Canon) that allows you to chance the shutter time by hand. Experiment a bit with shutter times to get an image that is properly exposed.

Short shutter times are needed. Try 1/125 seconds or thereabout. A cable release for the shutter may help to prevent movement. You can also use the self-timer set for 10 seconds.

All that is in the manual for the camera.

Good luck, we're looking forward to the results!

Hi what iso do you use thanks

Oh, you want to use eyepiece projection?

I only have experience with a T-ring + 1.25" nosepiece + telescope. (See second picture here.)

With eyepiece projection you'll probably need longer exposure times.

---

EDIT

---

Our posts are crossing. For the Moon I normally use ISO 100...400, directly through the telescope

Iso depends on your local sky and levels of light pollution, start at iso800 and work either way from there.

You won't know if you need the extension tube for reaching focus until you try.

Do try and balance your telescope with camera as best you can.

If you have a motor on your eq1 you might find just using your camera and a camera lens will give pleasing results.

I see your scope is f/12.8. Mine is f/5. This means you'll want to use a higher ISO than I do. The full Moon needs a lower ISO than a crescent Moon.

But you were talking about the Orion nebula. I was mistakenly talking about the Moon. A nebula needs quite a high ISO and considerable longer exposure times.

You'll have to experiment a bit.

Archived