Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

new eyepiece for sky watcher mak 127 advice needed

Could anyone recommend a decent replacement for the 10mm eyepiece

supplied with the mak 127.

I have read here that they are just ok/not very good .I am not really looking to go up to hyperion costs but suggestions would be welcome,if anyone could also say what the most powerful eyepiece i could go to with this scope i would appreciate this advice as well.

From the advice section I have worked out 7.5mm as being the best i can magnify up to.

I know I also need to get a better barlow as well but reckon I need a quality eyepiece anyway.

thanks in advance

rob

6 mil would give you the recommended 'max' for your scope, giving x250. Personally I would get a good 8 or 9 mil and a Barlow. Then when you get really good seeing you can push the scope up to around x300 plus.

I would save up for a Hyperion 8 mil. Superb eyepiece for the price. Also something like a Celestron Ultima Barlow. The 8 mil will give you around x185. You don't need to go mad with magnification though, often the best and crispest views are at lower mags.

• 2 years later...
If you could find a good Meade 6.7mm Ultra-Wide series 4000 for your budget you wouldn't regret it. Performs excellently in all my scopes, including the Skymax 127.

These are highly recommended if you can find one. I have the 6.7mm too and its excellent. The 8.8mm is regarded as a classic.

You could also consider a BST Explorer, a lot of members on this site are very pleased with them they are well made sharp have good eye relief and wideish field around 60 deg. I have just bought a 8mm which am i very pleased with and they cost an astonishing price - £38. Search this site for paradigm or explorer for member feedback.

Good luck with the scope, andrew

6 mil would give you the recommended 'max' for your scope, giving x250. Personally I would get a good 8 or 9 mil and a Barlow. Then when you get really good seeing you can push the scope up to around x300 plus.

I would save up for a Hyperion 8 mil. Superb eyepiece for the price. Also something like a Celestron Ultima Barlow. The 8 mil will give you around x185. You don't need to go mad with magnification though, often the best and crispest views are at lower mags.

Couldn't agree more.

Although the theoretical max mag for most scopes is around 2x their objective (or main mirror) diameter, I find that 1.5x often gives a more useable max mag.

So around 190x should be good with your Mak (which would be an 8mm eyepiece, I believe).

Archived