SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What A Night (Well Morning) That Was!

Since a boy my main ambition is to have seen Jupiter and Saturn with my own eyes. I ticked Jupiter off months ago after getting my 150p. Now that Saturn is visible in the morning and we had a super clear sky forecast I literally couldn't sleep last night!

Got up at 4.30, grabbed Stacie and Dobbie (ST80 and 150 Dob) and went outside. First hour was great views of Jupiter and moons and then Mars. I am super impressed with the views from Stacie - as good as the Dob! Mars was just an orange star but hey, my ambition was about to be realised.

Around 6.30 Saturn was visible from my garden (although I had to rest Stacie on the bin to get a view over next doors garage! I laughed out loud when the rings swam into view. Awesome!! Tried same ep with Dobbie (6mm Baader Ortho) and was disappointed that it was only a bright dot - maybe some collimation needed there.

Finally Venus popped up for the full set!! Awesome morning, if a little cold!!!

Sounds great Dazzy, the skies were certainly looking very clear this morning, no chance of getting a scope out for me unfortunately.

I think you need to have a check over your 150, it should blow the 80 out of the water, so something is not right.

Your night/morning was certainly more successful than mine.  Waited up all night for a clear view of Jupiter and Mars first - similar to you, Mars was just a orange star, but still Mars.  Just before Saturn and Venus were due to appear however, over came the clouds and that was the end of that.  Still yet to see Saturn through my scope ( only had it a week)

Better luck next time I hope.

Congratulations!

The first view of Jupiter and Saturn can be breathtaking!

When it happened to be, I couldn't sleep for a while, mainly because I was out every night to watch them again and again!

Sounds great Dazzy, the skies were certainly looking very clear this morning, no chance of getting a scope out for me unfortunately.

I think you need to have a check over your 150, it should blow the 80 out of the water, so something is not right.

Yeah, now I'm not actually sure I was aiming right with the 150 cos Jupiter was fine - bright with clear banding. To be fair to Stacie though the view of Jupiter was pretty close albeit slightly smaller with the same 6mm eyepiece... Oh well, guess I better check again tomorrow

If you have Jupiter in the EP of the dob, then you are 'aiming' right, if you were aiming wrong it wouldn't be there!

I would say that the dob is probably a better view, but either your not spending time at the EP to see the differences (considering they will be quite subtle) or in your excitement they just look the same.

I am the same with EPs, when people show me an image through an EP and say 'ohhh look how much better the quality is with this one rather than so and so', I see absolutely no difference between that EP and what I use etc

Got up at 4.30, grabbed Stacie and Dobbie (ST80 and 150 Dob) and went outside

Great names! 

It was a great night last night in Bury as well. I was up until about 4am. I'm knackered but unbelievably happy! I have been waiting for a night like that for about 6 months!

Great names! 

It was a great night last night in Bury as well. I was up until about 4am. I'm knackered but unbelievably happy! I have been waiting for a night like that for about 6 months!

Yeah, a clear night has been a long time coming this side of the Pennines too. Well worth the wait though!

If you have Jupiter in the EP of the dob, then you are 'aiming' right, if you were aiming wrong it wouldn't be there!

I would say that the dob is probably a better view, but either your not spending time at the EP to see the differences (considering they will be quite subtle) or in your excitement they just look the same.

I am the same with EPs, when people show me an image through an EP and say 'ohhh look how much better the quality is with this one rather than so and so', I see absolutely no difference between that EP and what I use etc

Thanks Matt, I was referring to previous post about not seeing Saturn in the Dob as good as the st. In my excitement I may have just been aiming at a star instead of Saturn in the Dob... I was too bowled over by seeing the rings for the first time lol. I don't mind spending a few more mornings like that comparing the views though!

Really quite jealous now! I got my first sighting of Jupiter on New Years Eve, (we had a firepit and booze fuelled Hogmanay), when I brought my telescope out after the bells to show it off to my mates. It was fantastic and everyone was bowled over. However, Saturn is what I really want to see, but that won't be happening any time soon, unless it get's it's act together and stops scraping it's rings along the horizon! I reckon I need it to be above 30 degrees before I'll get an unobstructed view. Is it likely to climb that high any time soon?

C.

You have the exact same set up as me! Although I don't have such good names for my equipment...

On the difference between the two scopes on Jupiter - could have been a dew problem? I've often been happily observing and found Jupiter reduced to a blob in the eyepiece, only to check to find the dreaded misting over the glass.

I haven't ventured outside yet, in spite of the clear nights - far too cold for me!

Paul 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived