Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cem60; Phd Stopped Working?

davedownsouth

Anyone else on here using a CEM60 mount and had problems connecting it to PHD2?  Last used it 9 days ago and everything worked perfectly.  All set-up tonight and wired up as usual, but when I hit the connect button on PHD2 (works via iOptron Mount.NET ASCOM driver), I just get the message 'Cannot find any supported IOptron mounts!'.  I know it is connected to the mount in exactly the same way as always, has anyone else seen this problem or have any ideas what is going wrong / how to fix it?

Cheers,

DDS :)

Hi Dave, is it connected by RS232 or USB, my IEQ45 sometimes looses the com port and I have to reset it but sounds a different problem to yours, I get a silly message that it can't find Com 16, why it's even looking for Com 16 I've no idea.

Dave

Thanks for the input :).  After another frustrating night last night, I am beginning to think that it might be the cable.  The computer is seeing the connection in COM3, but it just does not seem to be communicating (NB.  I connect it via the RS232 port).  Some time today I am going to set the mount up in the warmth of the kitchen and see if I can get the computer to communicate with the hand controller.  If it can do this, it is probably not the cable and I then will just reformat the whole computer and start again (learnt that just uninstalling / reinstalling drivers never works).  That will be four hours of my life wasted, but at least it should work.  Almost hope it is the cable, but that will be a nightmare to get replaced as it will almost certainly have to come from the US which will mean it will cost £100 plus and two weeks shipping :(.

Eeks! Reformatting sounds a bit drastic just for a com port error! You should always use the same port for the cable/mount. That can apply to other devices also. This might help: http://superuser.com/questions/408976/how-do-i-clean-up-com-ports-in-use

Louise

Yes, but I find that once a device stops working, uninstalling drivers and then reinstalling them never works.  Best bet is usually to reformat the computer and start again.  I know it's a pain, but it is the safest way.  

Did not get to try the mount again today, but the forecast is rubbish for the next week, so on Monday I will start to investigate getting a new cable (doesn't hurt to know how much they are as I am bound to need one at some time even if it is not responsible this time round).  If I get a hour to myself tomorrow, I will sort out if the cable or computer is at fault  :rolleyes2:

You shouldn't have to reformat your computer to completely uninstall your device.

Do the set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 fix that Louise suggested.

You'll be surprised how many greyed-out instances of USB-to-Serial ports will be displayed (and hubs etc in the USB section). 

Disable them all, including your current instance, and next time you plug in your lead, a new installation will occur.

Then go into it's Properties and change the COM port number to something sensible, or one recommended for your mount.

Then always use the same USB port.

If it does turn out to be the iOptron part of the cable that's faulty, I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same as the cable used by other brands, and available in the UK - check out your User Guide !

Michael

Okay, I have found the problem, the cable which I connect to the RS232 port which was supplied with the CEM60 has torn at the end closest to the serial adapter end.  This is very annoying as if it had ripped at the other end I could have just stripped down the cable and installed another RJ9 connector in the same way the the bust one was connected.  The Serial port side is a sealed unit, so the only way I will get to find out how it is wired is by spiting it open with a chisel.  I would rather not do this, so does anyone know where I can buy a replacement cable?  In the CEM60 manual, this cable is just called a Serial cable (RS232 to RJ9), but I know that this is not enough information for me to buy / make a replacement.  I have tried searching the NET for more information, but have hit a blank.  Neither the instruction manual or iOptron's web-site give a part number for this cable, so short of phoning up the USA (where iOptron are based), I am stuck.  Does anyone know what this cable is and where I can quickly buy one; preferably in the UK?

Cheers,

DDS :)

Excellent, the site say's it is the same as the one used for the ZEQ25 mount, and I have my old one of these snowballed at work so I will pop in now and see if the cable is still there with it :hello2:.  Will buy a spare anyway, but I will not have to get frustrated by the slowness of shipping ($19.95 for shipping for a $25 cable :angry1:)

Excellent, the site say's it is the same as the one used for the ZEQ25 mount, and I have my old one of these snowballed at work so I will pop in now and see if the cable is still there with it :hello2:.  Will buy a spare anyway, but I will not have to get frustrated by the slowness of shipping ($19.95 for shipping for a $25 cable :angry1:)

[removed word], no cable found :icon_sad:.  Tried to order two of these cables from the USA site today and they want to charge me $39-90 for shipping, which just sounds a bit excessive to me.  Will phone around a few iOptron dealers tomorrow and see if they can source any for me :help2:

Finally got it sorted.  Used a Multimeter and magnifying glass to work out how the bust cable was set-up and stripped back a cable I had for the Nexstar 8SE and re-wired it to match the iOptron one.  Everything worked perfectly, very happy again :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

7c12f2544fa28bcfaca64d81c64691d7.1824x0_

Archived