Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Clear Sky For Beginner. Tips To Align Telescope At Night Please

pblackwell

Hi, need advise ASAP to align new telescope at night. I understand it's best to do in daylight but its too late for that and is the first clear sky and want to try use it for the first time tonight to attempt to look at Jupiter.

Many thanks in advance guys!

Paul

By align I assume you mean align the finderscope with the telescope.  As you say, this is often easier done during the day.  Your alternative is to find a bright unmissable object (such as the moon), get that centred in the telescope and then adjust the screws on your finderscope so that the object (moon) is centred.  You are then good to go.  Find Jupiter in your finderscope and it should be somewhere in the field of view of your telescope.  Without knowing what equipment you have it is difficult to be more specific. 

Thanks Gnomus, but the moon will be gone by the time I get home.

I have a Skywatcher BK 1309 EQ2.

And sorry yes, I mean align the finder with the telescope.

What's you're best advise?

First clear sky since I set it up and can't wait to use it :)

I once had a similar problem. I was able to see some streetlights in the distance that i used to roughly align the finderscope and telescope using the lowest possible magnification. I then increased the magnification and re-aligned the finderscope every time. Was pretty good at the end. That should work with a bright star as well.

Archived