Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

3 Planetaries And A Few Galaxies

jetstream

Tonight was supposed to be cloudy, with very cold temps around -30c here, thankfully a break in the clouds allowed a few hours of observing.The SQM-L indicated 21.4 mag and the transparency went from avg to above average. Once again many familiar and well liked objects were viewed before settling in for the challenge of the evening.

I must say I have a hard time with planetaries...

The target (again) was NGC 2371 in Gemini, there have been numerous attempts at these objects but up until tonight they have eluded me, and elude me they did....an hours worth of searching left me fizzled out, ready to give up for the evening-but I remembered Johns thread about seeing some planetaries a bit ago. After reading his thread and rejuvenated :icon_biggrin: ,back to the scope to try an easier find NGC 2022.Within minutes I had success! This reward is so needed when struggling on a similar object, the observation tweaked the object recognition into a higher gear.

Back to NGC 2372, with a new strategy to find it (them)- I'll say this...searching for stuff using a .3 deg TFOV is no easy task manually... Using the beloved 10mm BCO and 2 new locator stars, what do you know BAM right in the eyepiece :shocked:

The object is actually 2 planetaries and I was fortunate to view both distinctly, a very unique object this is- glad to finally get it...

For a nice relaxing end to the night a few galaxies were observed-M81/M82 and associated puffballs and I wanted to re visit bright NGC 2403- it showed hints of something, faint spirals maybe? After plucking off NGC 3079,NGC 2841 and NGC 2681-all bright galaxies- I packed it in, scope frosted up, me half froze...lol!

Thanks again John for that great list of objects in your recent DSO thread- it saved the "planetary" night :thumbright:

Thanks people :smiley:  Just thinking out loud...Galaxy NGC 2403 is very interesting and I must spend more time on it. The thing seemed peppered with little speckles and I don't think they were stars :dontknow: Now where's NGC 891? and The Needle Galaxy? and... the list is huge...and fun :icon_biggrin:

Archived