SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ra Calibration Failed Star Did Not Move Enough?

brodon83

Something sure is amiss. It never takes over 25 steps for each direction for me using PHD2. You may have lots of backlash and/or the gears are not meshing well. Try re-balancing the mount. You want it to be just slightly heavy in RA to your right for the gears to mesh well if it's a standard Equatorial mount. Then if the mount allows remove the backlash using the HC. Should be info on this in your operating manual.

Attach your PHD log file for more analysis. Its location is given in the Global tab on the Brain.

Could be any number of problems: too small a step, wrong focal length recorded, no guide pulses being sent....

The most common reason for this problem is that the calibration step size is too small to move the scope enough... What scope are you using for the guide cam and what is the step size currently set to? Where you are pointing in the sky also affects the step size required somewhat, so it would be interesting to know where you were pointing when trying to calibrate.

This really shouldn't be a tricky one to sort out though!

Ill post the logs when i get home. But I think the hot pix might be it. I was fixed on M42 at 5 sec loop brightness up high and i could not see the nebula. Its very bright in my EP so i thought that weird. This was my first try guiding so i wasent sure.

The most common reason for this problem is that the calibration step size is too small to move the scope enough... What scope are you using for the guide cam and what is the step size currently set to? Where you are pointing in the sky also affects the step size required somewhat, so it would be interesting to know where you were pointing when trying to calibrate.

This really shouldn't be a tricky one to sort out though!

I was pointing at M42 south eastern mid sky for my location in Arizona at the time of attempted cal. Guide Scope 80mm refractor 400mm focal length. Camera pixel size is 5.2. Ill have to check the step size when I get home.

Optical design
btn_close_off.gif
Reflector telescopes use a pair of large and small mirrors to direct incoming light to the eyepiece. Refractor telescopes refract, or "bend" incoming light to a focus by means of an objective lens. Cassegrain telescopes, such as Maksutov-Cassegrains, "fold" incoming light using two mirrors and a front "corrector" lens.
Refractor
Optical design
btn_close_off.gif
Reflector telescopes use a pair of large and small mirrors to direct incoming light to the eyepiece. Refractor telescopes refract, or "bend" incoming light to a focus by means of an objective lens. Cassegrain telescopes, such as Maksutov-Cassegrains, "fold" incoming light using two mirrors and a front "corrector" lens.
Refractor

I had this & it was due to (as said above)  a hot pixel alter your focus until a star/stars appears as a white blotch on the screen then focus the scope into one of those, the other thing is if it's taking to long to calabrate alter the settings mine was set at 1100 & i altered it to 3500 and it guides after about 15 steps on each of the axises

Archived